• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why American Farmers Are Hacking Their Tractors With Ukrainian Firmware

2210_stern_4.jpg

No hay needed.

It was common place in Germany.

Services had to be performed by "authorized dealerships". The maintenance log had to signed and stamped or your warranty would be voided.

In 1998 I had to pay a mechanic to service my German model Yamaha YZF R1. I had not paid anyone to service my bikes for decades...

Oh and I had to pay to de-neuter it as it was sold restricted to 100 HP.

why does farm equipment need a computer anyway? these should be strictly mechanical with as few electronics as possible to make them more reliable

Farming has become big business, with some of the machines costing more than $250K. And the computers do a lot more than just manage the engine. Some of these machines have GPS, autopilot and network communications capability. They can drive themselves a lot straighter (or follow a preset pattern) than a human being would drive, which can mean time and crop savings worth many thousands of dollars.

I'm completely against the silly licensing games Deere plays, but the electronics are valuable in some applications.

P.S. I own a nearly 40 year old tractor, and I am a huge fan of it's simplicity. But I'm just cutting grass and scraping a driveway.

Back
Top Bottom