• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why are scope tubes getting larger and larger?

Well to answer his question he really doesn't need a 34-35mm tube for hunting. A inch or 30mm scope will work just fine for his need. Unless he is hunting deer with a 375 H&H magnum.

Yes, but everybody else is avoiding the OP's question. Why would a hunter need a 34mm tube and that's the answer more clamping force for the magnums. You can get more light with a bigger objective. With a 1" Zeiss HD5 50mm Objective if you can't see it you are poaching. but the 34mm tube does give more elevation for the extreme long range shots but most of all gives more clamping force for magnums.

I have personally seen scopes move in their rings when shooting a 300 WM while at my previous employer. we chased that gun build around for weeks, barrels, scopes etc. finally while at the range I just happened to be looking while my coworker was shooting and I said "I think That scope is moving" sure enough it was the scope in the customer's mount.

I would add, that the larger surface makes lapping the rings even more beneficial as they wrap the tube like a wet rag as opposed to a wet string. More and better mating surface for optimal mounting. Overkill for the normal hunter but a lot of what I do is overkill.

I would add, that the larger surface makes lapping the rings even more beneficial as they wrap the tube like a wet rag as opposed to a wet string. More and better mating surface for optimal mounting. Overkill for the normal hunter but a lot of what I do is overkill.
Oh great. Now a ring lapping argument to follow. Lol

Well the owner of Midway on one of his scope mounting videos said to sand the rings to eliminate high and low spots. He knows it all. LOL Sounded good anyway. You know all you need is just one more pair.

Back
Top Bottom