• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

why are some free float end caps bigger?

Gacowboy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
172   1
Reaction score
I ordered one of these and it is to big to fit my handguard, after checking I see they are different sizes..
SDC14978.JPG
why?

Why are there Lifestyle and Magnum sized condoms? The ID of different handguards are well different. 223 vs 308 handguards, manufacturer, slim vs regular, country of origin, a lot of different reasons.

Free-floating handguards are not part of the "standardized system" for the AR platform. That is aftermarket stuff and the manufacturer's/vendors can spec whatever they want.

Some folks want them bigger, some want them smaller. Some folks want round, some want a geometric shape other than round. A free float handguard that's made specifically for a pencil-barrel 5.56 probably won't fit a rifle with a heavy-profile .308 barrel. Some folks want a handguard big enough for their silencer to fit under. Etc., etc., and so on.

Free-floating handguards are not part of the "standardized system" for the AR platform. That is aftermarket stuff and the manufacturer's/vendors can spec whatever they want.

Some folks want them bigger, some want them smaller. Some folks want round, some want a geometric shape other than round. A free float handguard that's made specifically for a pencil-barrel 5.56 probably won't fit a rifle with a heavy-profile .308 barrel. Some folks want a handguard big enough for their silencer to fit under. Etc., etc., and so on.
Great thanks, I did not know all of that , thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom