• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

why buy a reloading manual?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Just curious, everybody says get two or three of them but with recipes readily available online for almost everything, are they still needed? Something I am missing?

Thanks for the help guys!
Caleb

There are several chapters in the front of mine that go over the details of how to reload for pistol/rifle/shot shell. Those chapters also have some history of the Speer company, CCI, and another one that I can't remember (powder company). They also go over things like how to spot problems, the signs of over pressure when looking at fired brass, and some other helpful things. Granted, you may not care about the history of Speer, but the other stuff is very helpful.

Also I am amazed at the variations between different manuals. Some different powder charges for the same bullet/caliber and sometimes widely varying velocities (likely due to the different firearm used when testing the loads).

Also (on the cheap) Load Books USA has caliber specific "books"... they compiled the different powder/bullet/ammo manufacturer's info into one place. Pretty handy for $6.

There are several chapters in the front of mine that go over the details of how to reload for pistol/rifle/shot shell. Those chapters also have some history of the Speer company, CCI, and another one that I can't remember (powder company). They also go over things like how to spot problems, the signs of over pressure when looking at fired brass, and some other helpful things. Granted, you may not care about the history of Speer, but the other stuff is very helpful.

Also I am amazed at the variations between different manuals. Some different powder charges for the same bullet/caliber and sometimes widely varying velocities (likely due to the different firearm used when testing the loads).

Also (on the cheap) Load Books USA has caliber specific "books"... they compiled the different powder/bullet/ammo manufacturer's info into one place. Pretty handy for $6.

^^^ Yep

I have a 9mm specific load book (and will get a .223 eventually as well) as well as one of the larger reloading manuals that was on clearance at cabela's Its not just full of recipes but has specific instructions on how to use a multitude of loaders (including mine) that go much further in depth and have better pictures than the manual my lee loader came with. With as dangerous as reloading can be and as easy as it can be to destroy a gun I like having the extra instruction around. Even after you know what your doing it seems to be a handy reference and go to. Its way too easy to get compliant with something and forget how dangerous an activity you're participating in

hi, new to post but not reloading, there are too many variations and components in loading not to have several manuals, you need to know powder burn rates, c.o.a.l with bullet weights, these things cause pressure which is important to know, 1 recipe online may or may not work for you, manuals allow you to safely tweak loads to your needs.
just my 2 cents, hope this helps

We have been reloading for over 40 years, it's very interesting to see in our manuals the different powders that come and go as new powders are introduced, and the new calibers that are available also.

Most individuals do not know that the different powder manufacturers pay for their powders to be featured in the different bullet companies reloading manuals info.

Remember when loading keep your focus on what you are doing, it only takes a moment to make a lifetime altering mistake. No distractions are worth that....

only a suggestion..

The basic fundamentals of reloading are usually in the first few chapters of reloading manuals. It is essential reading. Reloading is more than a new primer, powder, and a new bullet.

hi, new to post but not reloading, there are too many variations and components in loading not to have several manuals, you need to know powder burn rates, c.o.a.l with bullet weights, these things cause pressure which is important to know, 1 recipe online may or may not work for you, manuals allow you to safely tweak loads to your needs.
just my 2 cents, hope this helps

I have every manual from every bullet manufacturer I use. The powder charges can vary dramatically based on the bullet. A good example would be the "total jacket" bullets vs. the "full metal jacket" bullets.

The total jacket bullets use a much thinner (and softer) coating of copper. You can make a dent in one with your fingernail. They behave much more like a lead bullet-and consequently, the load data is very different for the same bullet weight.

I like to be as precise as practical. Those tables are made by engineers-not lawyers- and there is not much fudge factor.

Back
Top Bottom