• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why can you not reload metal casings ?

willr1

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
I do not know anything about reloading, but it seems that with the surplus of metal casings, the case being stronger and not prone to being bent etc, reloading would be economical on metal, but no one does it that I can find.

I have almost 1000k rounds of .223/556 that are metal and it seems such a waste besides recycling.

I believe that steel cases can not be re-sized. Also, if they are berdan primed you wont be able to de-cap the cases unless you rig up a modified de-capping die and use a hydraulic method, (filling the cases with water).

ok, I appreciate it. It just seems such a waste of materials and I just sorted out about 4k casings and had to toss some brass due to being dented or crushed and the metal was just as pretty as you could see. Oh well, I will find something to do with it

steel cases are usually berdan primed (have fun with that) and steel does not flex like brass does. each time you fire the case becomes harder which will lead to cracks WAY faster than the work hardening of brass. brass can also be annealed to soften certain parts and depending on loading, case be used 20-30 sometimes indefinitely. the work for steel just isnt worth the reward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom