• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why did this timing belt fail at only 60k miles?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
Was driving my Honda on the way to the gym this morning when it suddenly quit and I had to get it towed home. Didn't take me long to find the problem but I built this engine 6 years ago and it only has 60,000 miles on it. I was really surprised at how worn and cracked the belt was. It has never overheated however it is a manual and I do like rev matching and double clutching when I downshift. Nothing crazy though, it's a bone stock engine. It's a Honda 2.2 VTEC which unfortunately is an interference engine. What do you suppose the odds are that a piston didn't hit a valve?

20221014_101725.jpg

Most likely a non factory belt , some aftermarket belts are garbage

It was an aftermarket belt which I was skeptical of but it was a brand that was recommended by my machine shop. They are very well known in this area and I have been taking my engines to them for years so I usually trust their opinions.

What brand belt was it? We use gates almost exclusively on our race engines and have never had one break.

Sometimes stuff just happens. All them valves are bent though……

Can't remember now. It was in the engine kit that the machine shop gave me when I got the block and head back. Never heard of gates. Should I look into that instead of an oem Honda belt?

Yeah I'm afraid you're probably right about the valves. I was going to put a new belt on it and try cranking it just in case. Maybe I got lucky but I bet I'll wind up pulling the head.

A good belt should never look that bad , let alone coming apart at 60k , unless there are fluids , oil, and such leaking on the belt , compromising its durability

Tiny bit of oil seeping around the valve cover gasket but the belt itself is dry. It wasn't covered in oil

Back
Top Bottom