• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why do they call it cold turkey?

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
I quit smoking going on three days ago now. I asked GOD and Jesus for help so that means I really have to try this time to avoid letting them down.

So why do they call it quitting cold turkey?

Cold turkey” is a quick-fix method to quitting tobacco, alcohol, or drugs. Rather than gradually tapering off the substance, you stop taking it immediately. The term comes from the goosebumps people sometimes get in the days after they quit, which look like the skin of a “cold turkey” in the fridge.Mar 29, 2019

that’s what the google says
And good luck I’m trying myself

Do it. If you fail, do it again. And again
And again. It'll stick eventually. You are too old to be smoking.

It's been almost 15 years for me after 20+ pack/years. Best thing I ever did for myself besides suing for divorce from a psycho. I'm convinced I'd be dead by now had I kept both habits.

Not sure of the phrase origin. It takes 72 hours to eliminate nicotine from the system and remove the physical addicton, the psychological addiction last longer. Find things to occupy the space once held by smoking. Walk, memorize scripture, pray, call a friend. Has been close to 40 years since I quit and sometimes I will pass by someone smoking and it still smells good. The mindset I had was to just not smoke the next one. I still think that way today. You can’t play with it. Lighting up just starts the addictive process again
you are in my prayers for this.

I quit over a dozen years ago after smoking since I was 15 -

I had tried and failed many times previously.

To this day I credit a form of hypnosis or subliminal messaging for turning me into a nonsmoker.

For 2 weeks before I quit, each night after I went to bed, I listened to a tranquil, hypnotic message that reenforced that I was a nonsmoker.

By the time I quit, the smell of 2nd hand smoke nauseated me.

The content I used was on the now defunct Zune platform or I'd willingly share it with you. I expect Spotify and other sources now have similar availability.

Good luck - best health decision you will ever make.

Sent from my BV4900Pro using Tapatalk

I believe it spreads out from the term to "talk turkey", which is to speak plainly/bluntly.
Quitting cold turkey means to do something with no frills.
Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom