• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why does .357 Mag brass bring such a premium???

I guess it's a supply and demand kind of thing. just not a lot of it comes in from ranges would be my guess.

I know 38, 9m and 40 are cheaper than dirt these days.

I have been looking for some extra 357, 45 colt and 44 mag and all of the once fired stuff is close enough to the price of new starline brass ($17/100) that I pass and figure one of these days i'll just order a bunch online somewhere.

just not a lot of it comes in from ranges would be my guess.

^^^This is the main thing.

For the most part...357M is a revolver-only round - which means that the brass is not ejected onto the floor, and if the shooter is also a reloader, then he/she will keep the brass for themselves. So a lot of it does not enter the once-fired brass pile at the range.

Another reason is that most shooters prefer to use mild-power rounds for their target practice. And since 357M guns can also shoot 38spl...that's what most people shoot at the range (hence why there is a glut of 38 brass around as well). I have 5 revolvers in 357M...and I shoot 10X as much 38 through them as I do 357M.

Just my $0.02...

I personally believe the reason why 357 mag once used brass are more costly is that the .357 magnum round is the latest in the 38 genre of cartridges. It has the widest latitude in loading and can be loaded up relatively hot if required. It also is the longest brass case for .357/.358 and there is more material and brass extrusion precision involved in making it.

I did call a friend at STARLINE and ask him too.....so you could say I am cheating......He said that they sell the most of .357mag of all of the 38 class brass and it is much more in demand. That is why the once fired cases are costlier.

^^^This is the main thing.

For the most part...357M is a revolver-only round - which means that the brass is not ejected onto the floor, and if the shooter is also a reloader, then he/she will keep the brass for themselves. So a lot of it does not enter the once-fired brass pile at the range.

Another reason is that most shooters prefer to use mild-power rounds for their target practice. And since 357M guns can also shoot 38spl...that's what most people shoot at the range (hence why there is a glut of 38 brass around as well). I have 5 revolvers in 357M...and I shoot 10X as much 38 through them as I do 357M.

Just my $0.02...

^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom