• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why does everyone wanna see DL or GWCL?

I'd rather them have feedback over a DL or CCW but I do ask to take a peek. I feel like you can do your own due diligence or the government will eventually do it for you, as in no more private sales without an FFL.

I you really want to get serious about your "due diligence" you would go through a FFL holder for each and every firearms transaction. :fish2:
There's no need in doing half measures, do the full monty?:thumb:

The prosecuting attorney's opening statement: "Since you were checking DL and GWL, then you must have had some suspicion that the buyer was a criminal, before you sold the mass school shooter the weapon.":doh:

I don't mind flashing a CCW to show residency, and I've purchased items here that required a BOS three times i think. Two were for the seller's C&R book, and the other was from an older gentleman who used to live in New York and just couldn't shake the habit. It was such a rare weapon that i chose to do it even though i didn't like it. He turned out to be a really good guy and we're friends now.

In this age of identity theft and fraud i don't like the thought of an unknown private individual having a picture of my ID or having other detailed info that could be used in bad ways. I always skip past listings from private individuals that require BOS now...

Easiest way to never put yourself in jeopardy is clearly to never sell a gun. Buy all you want, never sell one though. Losing them is another story.

Ok im back. I knew this would get some conversation going. I was just curious if everyone knew why they were asking to see a drivers license and/or carry permit. I don’t care one way or the other. I have both and haven’t run into a strange situation where i didnt feel comfortable showing them. It seems that people do it to cover themselves. The “story” i have is for those folks.
So, I have a friend that found a pistol on here and worked out a trade deal with a guy. He met him half way and did the trade. About a year later he got a call from the Thomas County Sheriffs department. He was questioned about the pistol he had traded(he purchased new). The gun was found in a drug raid (along with others). The pistol had it numbers ground off. The only reason for the call was because they thought the gun was stolen and it would add to his charges. My buddy told the officer the story of the trade and was never questioned about what was said or done during the transaction.
I just thought i would get people thinking. I thought it was interesting and thought i would share the experience.

Easiest way to never put yourself in jeopardy is clearly to never sell a gun. Buy all you want, never sell one though. Losing them is another story.

So when you buy that second hand firearm from an individual, you don't check their credentials? :shocked:(possession of stolen firearms):thumb:

I had a fellow ask me if I was legal to possess a firearm, I asked him if he was legal to be selling it.:shocked:
He was a little startled, then realized there could be criminals on both sides of the fence.
I bought the pistol and all is well.

Ok im back. I knew this would get some conversation going. I was just curious if everyone knew why they were asking to see a drivers license and/or carry permit. I don’t care one way or the other. I have both and haven’t run into a strange situation where i didnt feel comfortable showing them. It seems that people do it to cover themselves. The “story” i have is for those folks.
So, I have a friend that found a pistol on here and worked out a trade deal with a guy. He met him half way and did the trade. About a year later he got a call from the Thomas County Sheriffs department. He was questioned about the pistol he had traded(he purchased new). The gun was found in a drug raid (along with others). The pistol had it numbers ground off. The only reason for the call was because they thought the gun was stolen and it would add to his charges. My buddy told the officer the story of the trade and was never questioned about what was said or done during the transaction.
I just thought i would get people thinking. I thought it was interesting and thought i would share the experience.

If the numbers were ground off .... how did they trace it ?

I usually wouldn't bat an eye if it was someone that's been on the ODT for a while and had good positive feedback, unless I get a weird vibe from them.

I also don't mind flashing a CCW to show residency and all that. I don't think I would ever ask for a BOS, but have done one once with a guy on here. He felt more comfortable with a BOS, so whatever. Who am I to bitch about it.

I did deny a guy on here one time and haven't seen him since. He wanted to buy a Glock I was selling at the time and seemed very eager to meet up and give me cash. His eagerness, recency of his ODT account, and lack of any feedback caused me to politely decline him and wished him luck. I don't need the money that bad to sell to someone that gives me pause.

I think all in all, just use your head when buying/selling and don't be a dumb ass.

My friend sold a gun to a gun hop years ago. The dealer put into his personal collection and kept it. I day my friend got a call from the GBI asking about the 40 cal Glock he owned. Told who he sold it to and asked why they called him. Turns out the dealer killed his wife with it.

Back
Top Bottom