• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why don't people like the 40 cal?

Yes-- there is no significant difference between a .40 and a 9mm wound, everything else being equal. There, I said it.

You mean like bullet weight and velocity? There's no difference in any two (or three) bullets, "everything being equal." Problem is everything is not equal.

And that's why everyone's moving back to 9mm-- the new bullet designs (HST, etc.) make 9mm statistically as effective as .40 and .45. !!!! But cheaper to shoot, more capacity, less recoil, etc.

So you can give us a links to those statistics???

"Statistically" the .357 is still the most effective man stopping round, with the 125 gr. having a slight advantage over the 158 grain.

Homeland Security dictated that all federal law enforcement agencies use the 9MM.

Local police are the biggest fan boys in the world - they want to be just like the big boys, the feds. That's why they switched to the .40 in the first place. The FBI did it, and not decent police department was not going to follow the example of the FBI.

So now the feds are switching to the 9 mm, so all the cool kids will do so too. Plus, 9mm has the advantage of being marginally cheaper (like maybe 2 cents a round). Being as nearly all PD severely limit the amount of practice ammo they give officers, you are talking about a savings of maybe $20 a year per officer for a round that is theoretically as effective as the .40.

Basing the discussion on the additional capacity of the 9 over the 40 is keyboard cowboying at it's best. If you have any modern semi-auto, and you need the extra 2 rounds of 9MM to take care of business, you need to really consider if you need to be carrying a gun. Especially considering that a lot of us are comfortable resolving social situations with 5 or 6 rounds of .357.

Like the 40 and have shots 10's of thousands of rounds. Never noticed any speical sharp noise, always had ear protection.
I do like all all calibers and view the 40 as a downsized 45 with the expected results

If Yeti made bullets,
They'd be
.40 !

image.jpeg

My first carry gun was a .40 HK USP compact. Bought it the day I turned 21 and carried it till I was about 27. One of my best friends got the exact same gun in 45acp and I realized I shot his gun a lot more accurately than mine. 230 grain bullets and no real noticable difference in recoil between the two. Then I started trying out different high cap compact 9mm's. Found out I could shoot them faster with more accuracy, and ammo was a lot cheaper. I started experimenting with different 9mm's and ultimately settled on a Glock 19 like many others and have been carrying it for 4-5 years.

The extra cost of ammo, slight loss of capacity, and little added recoil, just isn't worth a little performance bump to me. It might be worth it to others, I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Ultimately I think @NWSharpshooter is spot on, nobody wants to trade for a .40 cause the used market is flooded with them and you can pick one up cheap whenever you want.
Which version did you have? my Usp compact lem .40 is phenomenal , I refuse to ever sell it , it's one of the guns actually designed and engineered around the .40 round

Which version did you have? my Usp compact lem .40 is phenomenal , I refuse to ever sell it , it's one of the guns actually designed and engineered around the .40 round
It was the LEM model. Not saying it wasn't a great gun, that's why I carried it so long. I just realized I liked 45acp and 9mm handguns better. There was one one here the other day for $400 that was tempting the hell out of me though.

It was the LEM model. Not saying it wasn't a great gun, that's why I carried it so long. I just realized I liked 45acp and 9mm handguns better. There was one one here the other day for $400 that was tempting the hell out of me though.
I understand. I carry a Gen 4 Glock 30 when I'm not carrying hk , yes if that one posted was a compact I would of bought it and had twins , It's very rare you see a compact lem .40 for a good price.

Back
Top Bottom