• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why don't people like the 40 cal?

Loved my 40's, but got rid of them to trim my caliber line-up a couple years ago (consolidated to one caliber for wife/kids/wallet/etc.). I shot 40 naturally better than 9 and 45. Could never explain that one. Slightly slower on my double/multi shot drills, but just as - if not more - accurate than my 9's. Just meant I needed to practice more with my current line-up.

This is the same for me. Last year I even checked my theory. I shot G 19 and G 23, 40 and 9 mm side-by-side all afternoon. Trying to see if I really would favor the nine better. I did not and was more accurate consistently with the 40. I like the bigger hole as well. And I keep thinking, if the new bullet technology is so awesome, wouldn’t that apply to the 40 as well? Making it even more effective? 40s can be found and had for a little less money. And I find bullets inexpensive as well.

I carry a G27. Loved the cartridge because of its ballistics, it shoots laser straight at range. I got rid of my .45 due to drop off at distance ( I know, in a carry situation, distance generally is not an issue). Great little gun, and just feels better to me. My wife carries a 26, it shoots ok, and has considerably less recoil, but I am not as accurate firing it. Honestly, I think im just more acustomed to the 40 than the 9 at this point.

Practice, practice, practice. Get your rounds on target, and it wont matter what caliber your shooting.

I like the .40 as a dedicated medium-sized carry gun round.

But I don't own such a handgun anymore.

My compact carry semi-auto is so small and short in the grip that the .40 version is too snappy on recoil. Too much muzzle flip. I tested the .40 version, but bought the 9mm version.

My larger defensive semi-auto is NOT just for social encounters on the street. It's also my match gun for steel plate challenges, IDPA type shoots, etc. And I went with 9mm for that purpose, too, due mostly to cheaper ammo costs and lower recoil. The greater recoil from the .40 would make some of my X's and 10's turn into 9's on many targets, and I want to accumulate the most points in a match!

IF my full-sized defensive handgun were not also a range toy, and it were only for serious defensive carry, and I only shot it enough to stay proficient with it, THEN it would be a fortay. Because I really do like the ballistics of the .40 round. It's a good ratio of mass to velocity with a bigger wound channel than a 9 mil.

Because then that right ammo will give you higher capacity and less recoil which means faster follow up shots which means dude is more deader faster
I DOUBT VERY MANY CIVILIANS HAVE HAD ANY TRAINING OR HAVE SHOT MANY HUMAN BEINGS. MOST PEOPLE SPEND THERE LIFE BEING WANT TO BE'S SHOOTING PAPER TARGETS AT THERE GUN CLUB AN THEN GO BACK TO THEIR DESK JOBS BRAGGING ABOUT HOW BAD THEY ARE.

I DOUBT VERY MANY CIVILIANS HAVE HAD ANY TRAINING OR HAVE SHOT MANY HUMAN BEINGS. MOST PEOPLE SPEND THERE LIFE BEING WANT TO BE'S SHOOTING PAPER TARGETS AT THERE GUN CLUB AN THEN GO BACK TO THEIR DESK JOBS BRAGGING ABOUT HOW BAD THEY ARE.
Just because some haven't doesn't mean others can't. Using that logic everyone should carry .22s because most folks don't train

40s suck because

They hit harder than 9 mm,
And hold more than a 45…

Wait, I meant,

Hold less than 9 mm,
And don’t hit as hard as a 45..

Whichever, doesn’t matter, just sell me your 40s for cheap! I’ll take it. Honestly, I shoot 40 a little straighter than nine, and can’t tell any real noticeable difference in recoil. I shoot matches with 40 too. Just for fun, but I rank right there with the 9 mm boys. Even when no advantage is given to heavier calibers.

Back
Top Bottom