• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why don't people like the 40 cal?

Some people have a hangup for one caliber or another. I think that .40 cal is absolutely fine if that is your cal of choice. I don't feel anymore recoil than on a 9mm personally.
I shoot my Sig 229 .40 better than I do most of my pistols. I say to each his own. If you can't shoot or don't like .40 cal then don't buy it.
I'll bet a few people that are against it actually have never shot that caliber and go by what they have heard or read.

I like 40's. But I also like 9's, 10's, 45s, 357 mags, 38s, 44s, and 22lr. I had a Glock 27 for many years and it shot great. Does anyone who has shot a 9 and a 40 side by side actually believe a 9 is as effective as a 40? Don't believe me, do it yourself. That being said, I prefer a pocket rocket in a 9. Don't get me wrong, i am not saying that there is anything wrong with a 9.

I do remember during the Obama gun panics and ammo shortage that what was left on the shelf was .40

So I should be able to pick up a .40 for cheap then.

Why does it seem there are several people not interested in .40 cal anything? I have never owned a handgun in .40 but have considered it.

What is it about 40 cal that people don't like?

I had 2 Traded both to my LE Friend. Bullets were expensive and the pistol were two heavy after loading.

Why does it seem there are several people not interested in .40 cal anything? I have never owned a handgun in .40 but have considered it.

What is it about 40 cal that people don't like?
I've never had a problem with the recoil or mag capacity, I've owned 4 different .40 cal pistols and all of them were pleasant enough to shoot & pretty dang accurate too. My problem with it is even with ear protection for some reason the report of the .40 is extremely sharp to my ears, it hurts my ears and gives me a headache. I can't understand why either, .357 Sig, 10mm, .357 mag, .44 mag never bothered my ears but that damn .40 has a SHARP report like getting stuck with a needle in the eardrum.

I personally love the 40. I have carried one as my primary duty weapon for 20 years. I have a few that rotate as my back up and EDC. My department is now transitioning to the 9mm. I’m not 100% sold on the 9mm round even though I have a few of them laying around also. I understand that bullet technology has came along way over the years but can’t seem to forget why we have a 40 caliber in the first place. After the Miami shootout in the early 80’s the FBI dropped the 9mm for the 10mm. Agents couldn’t hit their target with the bigger cartridge and complained about recoil and the 40 was born. Still in my mind, the bigger the hole the better! I know the bullet placement comments are coming, but proper bullet placement with a bigger bullet seems to make me feel better.

Loved my 40's, but got rid of them to trim my caliber line-up a couple years ago (consolidated to one caliber for wife/kids/wallet/etc.). I shot 40 naturally better than 9 and 45. Could never explain that one. Slightly slower on my double/multi shot drills, but just as - if not more - accurate than my 9's. Just meant I needed to practice more with my current line-up.

Back
Top Bottom