• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why I should never move to Florida.

I left in 1992 just because of all the Long Island New Yorkers that FLOODED the Gulf Coast from Clearwater north . It just became unbearable . Having lived there from the ‘60’s on it just lost its old time , small town feel . I remember climbing the fence at Weeki Wachee Springs to swim and party at night . I don’t go back any more. No reason and can’t stomach how’s it’s went down so bad .

Reactions: GFB
There are no shortage of traffic messes in Florida. Population of Florida is way higher than Georgia, about double. Even since the late 80s the changes are staggering. Can't imagine what someone who grew up there long before that would think of the place now.
I spent 20 years on a large cattle ranch in northern Okeechobee County. When I left, the nearest light I could see at night was 12 miles across the woods. The nearest store was 18 miles and the mailbox was 3 miles. It is still close to those numbers. I miss Okeechobee Co.

Born and raised in the Keys, my father's family moved to Miami in the very late 1800's, my dad to the Keys in the early 50's. Boy has Florida changed, and not for the better. Our northern friends have invaded our laid back world down there because it was laid back and carefree. They have managed to mess it up and bring with them all their rules and regulations they were trying to escape! Now they are leaving Florida because of the mess they brought with them, and they are headed our way up here in North GA and the Carolina's. Don't let the mason dixon line get in the way of moving on back to NY, NJ and points north. I meet people all the time up here and ask them where they are from? In a NY/NJ accent I usually get, "Florida", then I ask them where are they really from, that's when I get the truth.

Snakes, hurricanes, cost of living, and authoritarian politics are all reasons not to move to Florida. On the other hand, you've got warm weather, pretty beaches, and no state income tax. I originally thought the pros outweighed the cons, but with the recent political shift, I said peace out to Florida. It's a real shame.

I left south Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area) in '98 as I did not speak the local language anymore. Many hispanics started the move up from Dade after Andrew in '92. When I walk into a store I expect to be spoken to in english not a different language. I have no problem with legal immigrants, that is what built this country but in America we speak english to each other. Walking into a home depot and having that happen was the deciding factor for me.

lived many years in the keys/south miami area in the early 80's. love the area, love going out on the boat every weekend. fishing and diving all year long. january 1st was a big day out on the water for the family. family member from north georgia would come down to go out on the boat in the winter time. but things were turning to crap in the mid 90's. so in 98 i a grab a tranfer to d.c. to get away from the crap. gone back several times over the years and it has gotten worse. sometimes i have to check the gps to make sure i am still in the u.s. but there are still good places to live in florida. also florida does not have a state tax. hard to beat no state tax and all year round summer.

__88096cf81cd35d4dce0aac1e575d0bb7_width-600.jpeg

They're basically only in the Everglades. I live in south FL, and we are being overrun by Iguana's,
which are not native to FL. They have hunts every once in a while in the Everglades to capture the
pythons, so not being native to FL either, you can legally kill them, and earn a few $$.

Back
Top Bottom