• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is black powder darn near dead?

I have been looking for a Brown Bess and when I find the right one I will shoot BP a lot again.
I shoot a couple of old army colts I have from time to time but not on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is still a huge love for bp in the hunting community. It's my favorite week of the year. That being said, I would never want to spend a day at the range with that mess. Getting it sighted in every year is torment enough.

There is still a huge love for bp in the hunting community. It's my favorite week of the year. That being said, I would never want to spend a day at the range with that mess. Getting it sighted in every year is torment enough.

I cast minieballs, much easier than the patch and ball, or even belted bullets. Just swab the barrel every couple of shots to keep it from walking. Just make sure to use one a little oversized when shooting out of a tree so that it doesn't slide down the barrel. I use Lyman black powder lube for any that are going to be fielded, but just unsalted lard or Crisco around the homestead. Send me a pm if you want to try a few. I will probably cast my yearly supply next month.

Fun to shoot but it just takes to many steps to shoot. Especially the original guns that used patch, lube, the little ball to smack the ball in, powder measure and powder pouch. It's almost like taking a mini reloading kit with you to the range. To much crap to use when you can do the same thing with a 30 round mag.
You Philistine. There is an elegance and rhythm to black powder target shooting that the tacticool Tommy crowd cannot appreciate with their gnat-like attention spans. Much easier for the uncultured to slam a 30-40 round clipazine into a $350 AR and blast blast blast away the afternoon at IPSC targets @15 yards. I've even overheard these 'technicians' exclaim with pride the size of their 15 yard offhand 5 inch "groups", LOL!

You Philistine. There is an elegance and rhythm to black powder target shooting that the tacticool Tommy crowd cannot appreciate with their gnat-like attention spans. Much easier for the uncultured to slam a 30-40 round clipazine into a $350 AR and blast blast blast away the afternoon at IPSC targets @15 yards. I've even overheard these 'technicians' exclaim with pride the size of their 15 yard offhand 5 inch "groups", LOL!
Oh go blow it out your ass! I like building AR's but I actually enjoy shooting bolt and lever guns more. So don't come at me with that crap. I do enjoy shooting them. I am speaking of people in general that it's not as appreciated as much as it use to because of the ease of exactly what you said, jamming a mag in and spraying the range. It does take a lot of patience and commitment to the art of black powder. I am not takling about the break down, metal primer, sabot jobs that are sold a lot of today. I am talking about the old 50 cal Hawkins or Kentucky rifles that require all the components required to shoot those guns. My kids have been riding me about getting one but it seems I am always in the middle of a project. I do plan on building a 50 cal Hawkins with my older son here pretty soon. I promised I would do that with him.

Oh go blow it out your ass! I like building AR's but I actually enjoy shooting bolt and lever guns more. So don't come at me with that crap. I do enjoy shooting them. I am speaking of people in general that it's not as appreciated as much as it use to because of the ease of exactly what you said, jamming a mag in and spraying the range. It does take a lot of patience and commitment to the art of black powder. I am not takling about the break down, metal primer, sabot jobs that are sold a lot of today. I am talking about the old 50 cal Hawkins or Kentucky rifles that require all the components required to shoot those guns. My kids have been riding me about getting one but it seems I am always in the middle of a project. I do plan on building a 50 cal Hawkins with my older son here pretty soon. I promised I would do that with him.
You should eat a Snickers dude. Work more on your reading comprehension skills and less on "building" ARs. My post was in jest.

Back
Top Bottom