• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is black powder darn near dead?

You called me a philistine. I am a Christian all though not a really good example of one and calling me that is a slap in the face.
Seriously? Read your Bible. I'm not implying that you are actually a person hostile to Israel of ancient times.

noun
  1. 1.
    a person who is hostile or indifferent to culture and the arts, or who has no understanding of them.
    "I am a complete philistine when it comes to paintings"

A pain to clean and slow reloads. If I want to go shooting then I want to be shooting not reloading. BP guns are near and dear to me but not for everyday use.

All right y'all, I know black powder is much less popular due to the simple fact that you can't pop a cartridge in and go bang. Or the fact that it ain't TACTICOOL enough for you. (I can always coat one in FDE and mount a rail for all your mall ninja accessories) But it was the battle rifle of it's day. It takes more skill with these bad boys. The best could get maybe 3 rounds off in a minute, and the best shots were made around 300 yards. What person doesn't love a good challenge.
As a 2A supporter, I feel that we as a community should take interest and preserve the enjoyment of all firearms regardless of how out of date they are. Whether it is a replica or an original these rifles can serve as a great reminder of how easy we have it now with our semi automatic firearms. And they are simply a piece of some of our great nation's history and how we got the greatest thing on Earth. Freedom. We owe it to the people that fought those years ago to give us the freedom that allowed our country to be free. If it wasn't for black powder rifles, who knows where we would be today.

What do y'all think?
It
All right y'all, I know black powder is much less popular due to the simple fact that you can't pop a cartridge in and go bang. Or the fact that it ain't TACTICOOL enough for you. (I can always coat one in FDE and mount a rail for all your mall ninja accessories) But it was the battle rifle of it's day. It takes more skill with these bad boys. The best could get maybe 3 rounds off in a minute, and the best shots were made around 300 yards. What person doesn't love a good challenge.
As a 2A supporter, I feel that we as a community should take interest and preserve the enjoyment of all firearms regardless of how out of date they are. Whether it is a replica or an original these rifles can serve as a great reminder of how easy we have it now with our semi automatic firearms. And they are simply a piece of some of our great nation's history and how we got the greatest thing on Earth. Freedom. We owe it to the people that fought those years ago to give us the freedom that allowed our country to be free. If it wasn't for black powder rifles, who knows where we would be today.

What do y'all think?
While I absolutely respect our heritage and love seeing the black powder guns and cannons at historical events I don't feel the need to shoot them.
It's like seeing the old scrub tanks for manually washing clothes but still wanting to just turn on the washing machine.

Without a doubt I've killed more deer with a .50 Hawken then all of my other guns combined.
I like the fact I got a shot off every hunt, even if it was just to unload it for the ride home.

I use to knock the guys with the inline scoped guns, right up until I could no longer make the front sight sharp enough to shoot the Hawken accurately enough to take it hunting.
That cheap inline I bought off here will shoot 3' groups at 100 yards which is better than the Hawken ever shot, unless I was shooting round ball.

Yea it's a pain to clean, but so what, after a while you have it down to a science.
It'll always be a great love of mine and I'm fortunate to be around a bunch of guys that like to shoot them.
Seems like you can shoot all day for nearly nothing.
There will always be a special place in my heart for black powder guns and with a 385 grain buffalo bullet everything is DRT.

Back
Top Bottom