• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is deer season so long?

How has it cost small game hunters time in the field?

Wait, do you think that small game season is closed when deer season is open? That mistaken belief would be the only logical explanation for your opinion.
Now we have finally gotten there.
Yes it has been my experience my entire hunting career(25 yrs) that yes while deer season is open, private land is closed to small game. Obviously there are exceptions but in northeast Ga, they are few and far between.

Now we have finally gotten there.
Yes it has been my experience my entire hunting career(25 yrs) that yes while deer season is open, private land is closed to small game. Obviously there are exceptions but in northeast Ga, they are few and far between.
Ah, so you want to change the law so you can control who private land owners allow on their property. That's very.... Democratic of you.

I’ve been patient and answered your questions Bear. Now answer mine. Why can’t the closing date of deer season be Jan 1st like it was a short time ago?
Because I believe in letting the wildlife biologists that are primarily in charge of game management in this state do their job. I said this very thing very early on in this thread.

I also believe in maximizing hunting opportunities when it is not detrimental to good game management.

As for small game hunting opportunities in North East Georgia...

300px-GA_National_Forest.png

You're welcome.

Because I believe in letting the wildlife biologists that are primarily in charge of game management in this state do their job. I said this very thing very early on in this thread.

I also believe in maximizing hunting opportunities when it is not detrimental to good game management.
So when I first moved down here from Michigan(where our gun season is only 15 days) a buddy too me to fort Stewart to hunt and I asked a wildlife biologists down there when we checked in our deer about the hunting season down here and he told me “it because the insurance company’s lobby the state for it”. Not sure how true that is but coming from a Midwest state where we grow big deer I believe if we shorted our season and did a better job on managing the deer heard here we would maybe have better deer.
Just my 2 cents.

Ah, so you want to change the law so you can control who private land owners allow on their property. That's very.... Democratic of you.

This this is pretty much the gist of it. Leftism - to use the force of government to tell other people what to do on their private land.

So when I first moved down here from Michigan(where our gun season is only 15 days) a buddy too me to fort Stewart to hunt and I asked a wildlife biologists down there when we checked in our deer about the hunting season down here and he told me “it because the insurance company’s lobby the state for it”. Not sure how true that is but coming from a Midwest state where we grow big deer I believe if we shorted our season and did a better job on managing the deer heard here we would maybe have better deer.
Just my 2 cents.

No offense but please go back to Michigan and enjoy your 15 days of hunting deer and quit telling us how we should do things. There are plenty of big deer here and awesome hunting opportunties. There is no need to change things to make up for someone's lack of hunting skills, inability to procure private land, or whatever other ridiculous excuse someone is using.

Just my 2 cents.
The insurance companies do lobbie for more liberal deer hunting laws around urban areas. The only result of that has been a longer bow season in some counties around larger cities.

The reason our season is so long is because there are a lot of areas where the population was dangeriously close to carrying capacity. That's why different areas have different numbers of doe days. It's a management tool.

I'm a trophy hunter and more antler size restrictions would improve hunting for me, but I would not do that to other hunters.

Back
Top Bottom