• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is deer season so long?

We’ve already established that ppl don’t fill their tags, so how do you encourage hunters to do so. I agree the population is to big. Farmers, including myself, have to accuire depredation permits every year.
Not to mention if you cut the season off say Dec 15. A lot of these 2.5-3.5 yr old bucks would slip through till next year.
Most people I know don't fill tags because they don't have a place to fill them. I live within 20 mins of 2 WMA's and I couldn't manage to fill one tag this season bc they were over loaded with hunters or restricted on dates. Only deer I saw this year ran through the neighbors yard, and don't think it didn't occur to me to try to drop one of them.

We’ve already established that ppl don’t fill their tags, so how do you encourage hunters to do so. I agree the population is to big. Farmers, including myself, have to accuire depredation permits every year.
Not to mention if you cut the season off say Dec 15. A lot of these 2.5-3.5 yr old bucks would slip through till next year.
How about requiring a hunter kills X number of does before they can kill a second buck or something along those lines?

I’m aware of some of the “restocking efforts” that went into Ga’s Deer. How does that fit here?
The reason they had to be restocked is because they had been eliminated from most areas due to over hunting because there were no regulations. The same was true of Turkey.

Most people I know don't fill tags because they don't have a place to fill them. I live within 20 mins of 2 WMA's and I couldn't manage to fill one tag this season bc they were over loaded with hunters or restricted on dates. Only deer I saw this year ran through the neighbors yard, and don't think it didn't occur to me to try to drop one of them.
Yes population densities are going to vary throughout the state based on a variety of factors. Though deer do move. Take a 5,000 acre tract in Ga and kill every deer. Deer from the surrounding areas will move in no time, because there is no competition for resources. Purely hypothetical statement. I’m not advocating killing every deer in the state by no means.
All I’m really interested in is a little better balance.
Unfortunately Deer is king in this state and every other type of hunter just has to bow down to their wishes.

The reason they had to be restocked is because they had been eliminated from most areas due to over hunting because there were no regulations. The same was true of Turkey.
I understand that but I’m a bit confused. Are advocating for a shorter deer season because you worry they could become over harvested once again?

Most hunters I talk to don't think it's long enough! They wish they could hunt year round.
They may talk a big game, but most of them wouldn't hunt anymore than they do know. They might spread it out more, but the actual number of days in the woods would remain the same. All you have to do is look at the deer hunting reports here to see how little interest there is in deer hunting by the end of the existing season.

Back
Top Bottom