• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is deer season so long?

You don't have to use all 4 months. Many states are 3 and 4 months, some of those the gun season is only 2 weeks long. I've lived in that situation. I remember working and guys would Schedule their vacation around deer season. If you weren't high on seniority list, if you didn't have to work the weekend, you had 4 days of hunting. Muzzleloader season was 3 weeks long, a lot more people muzzle loader hunted. Here it's really not worth taking out the nozzle loader for 1 week. More people small game hunted.
i imagine the reason you're upset about the season being this long is you want to small game hunt and guys in you're club don't want you running beagles for rabbits or something during deer season. If that's the case you should work out something with you club members. Suggest a section that allows small game hunt in December or a week in month were you can small game hunt. But honestly the section is a better idea because no deer would want to stay in that section anyway. Last year some coon hunters ran their dogs into my property. My neighbor let them hunt his land, he waited towards the end of the season. They ran the dogs underneath my stand and by my feeder. No deer showed on cameras for 2 weeks. They didn't do it on purpose and I had coons coming to my feeder so dogs were doing what they were supposed to but they didn't keep them on the property they were supposed to be on. I wasn't happy and didn't have problem this year, politely asked they not come out until end of deer season.
Another solution is buy your own land, then you can do what you want. But be careful about wanting shorter deer season. You be surprised of you allies. A lot of anti gun and anti hunting people would be glad to help carry the destruction of our rights and flock to your cause

So more 2 year old bucks get shot. If you can't see a 2.5 year old 8 point buck in 4 months in GA, you need to trade in your firearm for a knife because your blind.

This way our age structure never shifts, except in urban areas where they get a chance to grow old.

I'm not talking about doe harvest either. The rule is 10 or 12 or whatever, if that floats your boat have at it. Want meat shoot a doe, no need to kill a 2 year old basket 6 or 8.

I never hit these rants but couldn't help it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom