• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is everyone ditching the .40 cal

Why do people always say this? Is there data to back up this statement or is it just a line people used to rile other people up, like the whole .45 is a better round BS.

If something goes bump in the night I grab my 229 (in .40 thank you very much) and see whats up.

If you have to fight your way to anything that means you weren't prepared in the first place.

Im pretty sure the sentiment is, a battle rifle is much more desirable to have in a battle than a pistol...i know id rather have an AR with 30 rds of .223 than a pistol with 15 of 9mm or 40 or whatever.

I think the pistol to fight back to a rifle thing is military thinking. Yes I'd prefer a rifle or shotgun. But I don't feel unprepared with my glock or m&p

I think the pistol to fight back to a rifle thing is military thinking. Yes I'd prefer a rifle or shotgun. But I don't feel unprepared with my glock or m&p

Yeah, its thinking from a standpoint of being in a real fight, from a defensible position, in this case, your home.

Of course if we're walking down the street, we're unlikely to have an AR or shotgun strapped to the back, so a pistol is whatcha got...much better than nothing at all.

For me, home defense weapon is my shotgun, and a G17 as backup.

Why do people always say this? Is there data to back up this statement or is it just a line people used to rile other people up, like the whole .45 is a better round BS.

If something goes bump in the night I grab my 229 (in .40 thank you very much) and see whats up.

If you have to fight your way to anything that means you weren't prepared in the first place.

It's a military thing, that was drilled in many a soldiers heads...not civilian..It just worked its way over to civilians, after all if the military says it it has to be right...lol....It was a old saying referring to soldiers leaving their rifle in say the barracks while they went to the latrines....or whatever...that's my understanding anyway.

Insert thread hijack here:

If something goes bump in the night and I'm investigating, it is with a long gun. It is part of my preparation. If I can prepare/have foresight/time before an incident, you bet I'll be grabbing a long gun. How would you feel if the bump in the night was a prepared and determined individual with a long gun?

I have handguns because I can't always have long guns. In the hierarchy of weapons, handguns are near the bottom. Handguns have advantages due to portability and concealability but we accept a tradeoff in performance for this, as something is better than nothing.

Fights are not fair and I want as much of an advantage as I can get. This not only includes weapons but information, visibility against an opponent, mental game, physical condition, etc, etc, etc.

My questions to those that believe in the handgun only strategy, do you own a defensive long gun?

End hijack.

Insert thread hijack here:

If something goes bump in the night and I'm investigating, it is with a long gun. It is part of my preparation. If I can prepare/have foresight/time before an incident, you bet I'll be grabbing a long gun. How would you feel if the bump in the night was a prepared and determined individual with a long gun?

I have handguns because I can't always have long guns. In the hierarchy of weapons, handguns are near the bottom. Handguns have advantages due to portability and concealability but we accept a tradeoff in performance for this, as something is better than nothing.

Fights are not fair and I want as much of an advantage as I can get. This not only includes weapons but information, visibility against an opponent, mental game, physical condition, etc, etc, etc.

My questions to those that believe in the handgun only strategy, do you own a defensive long gun?

End hijack.

This all the way. When something goes bump in the night, im grabbing a rifle. The pistol is for out on the go .

Just wondering, if you believe that statement, why is your primary home defense weapon a pistol?

Haha, touche sir! My last post doesnt really make sense now that I read it again. You have no idea how boring the class I am in right now is.

Back
Top Bottom