• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is everyone ditching the .40 cal

I have to say I do NOT get the mindset that grabs a rifle in the house. Maybe my house is just too small but I prefer to have a gun that won't round corners before me and make its self a great handle for the zombie. I can hit just fine at the range my house provides and my Glocks all have night sights. They can also be held in one hand so at close quarters I can wield a flashlight, hammer, knife, skillet or light switch as needed with my offhand. Try close quarters combat in a dark house with your AR in one hand. Behind my hand guns is my 12 gauge with pistol grip and 18 inch barrel. Even that is too long but it sure is comforting. I'm not saying I WANT to be grappling with a zombie in my living room, but if one pops up like a rabid whack-a-mole I want to be able to stiff arm him with one hand and fill him fulla lead with the other. And AR at the bend in the hall ain't gonna let you do that.

Oh yeah...the 40 S&W is GREAT for get-off-me shots in the dark too. At least you don't have 3000 FPS rifled slugs zipping thru walls killing the wife and kids while you blast away at a zombie behind the couch. Rifle in da house! puhLEASE!

Last edited:
I have to say I do NOT get the mindset that grabs a rifle in the house. Maybe my house is just too small but I prefer to have a gun that won't round corners before me and make its self a great handle for the zombie. I can hit just fine at the range my house provides and my Glocks all have night sights. They can also be held in one hand so at close quarters I can wield a flashlight, hammer, knife, skillet or light switch as needed with my offhand. Try close quarters combat in a dark house with your AR in one hand. Behind my hand guns is my 12 gauge with pistol grip and 18 inch barrel. Even that is too long but it sure is comforting. I'm not saying I WANT to be grappling with a zombie in my living room, but if one pops up like a rabid whack-a-mole I want to be able to stiff arm him with one hand and fill him fulla lead with the other. And AR at the bend in the hall ain't gonna let you do that.

Oh yeah...the 40 S&W is GREAT for get-off-me shots in the dark too. At least you don't have 3000 FPS rifled slugs zipping thru walls killing the wife and kids while you blast away at a zombie behind the couch. Rifle in da house! puhLEASE!

9's and 40's and just about anything else penetrates drywall and insulation so be mindful of what is behind your primary target.

Last edited:

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Yessir. You are absolutely correct. You surely should be as careful of over travel as possible. But big ole holler points do slow down a lot more in flesh and carry a lot less energy into the sheet rock. I load my 12 gauge with bird shot alternating with slug. Control and minimum penetration as a one-two. If any of my shots over penetrate or miss altogether at least the neighbors are pretty safe. Now if I was tossing .223's, 7.62x39's or whatever the "long gun" du jour for home defense is, then even if I didn't perforate my wife, my neighbors might get ticked about the holes in THEIR walls.

Rdogger -
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

LOL! I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning..er afternoon. ;)

Back
Top Bottom