• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is everyone ditching the .40 cal

I have to say I do NOT get the mindset that grabs a rifle in the house. Maybe my house is just too small but I prefer to have a gun that won't round corners before me and make its self a great handle for the zombie. I can hit just fine at the range my house provides and my Glocks all have night sights. They can also be held in one hand so at close quarters I can wield a flashlight, hammer, knife, skillet or light switch as needed with my offhand. Try close quarters combat in a dark house with your AR in one hand. Behind my hand guns is my 12 gauge with pistol grip and 18 inch barrel. Even that is too long but it sure is comforting. I'm not saying I WANT to be grappling with a zombie in my living room, but if one pops up like a rabid whack-a-mole I want to be able to stiff arm him with one hand and fill him fulla lead with the other. And AR at the bend in the hall ain't gonna let you do that.

Oh yeah...the 40 S&W is GREAT for get-off-me shots in the dark too. At least you don't have 3000 FPS rifled slugs zipping thru walls killing the wife and kids while you blast away at a zombie behind the couch. Rifle in da house! puhLEASE!

Yep, thats my go to home defense weapon, 12GA with pistol grip...i practice manuvering around my house and slicing off corners all the time, can get around and manuver the pistol grip shotgun as well as a handgun, takes practice.

I have to say I do NOT get the mindset that grabs a rifle in the house. Maybe my house is just too small but I prefer to have a gun that won't round corners before me and make its self a great handle for the zombie. I can hit just fine at the range my house provides and my Glocks all have night sights. They can also be held in one hand so at close quarters I can wield a flashlight, hammer, knife, skillet or light switch as needed with my offhand. Try close quarters combat in a dark house with your AR in one hand. Behind my hand guns is my 12 gauge with pistol grip and 18 inch barrel. Even that is too long but it sure is comforting. I'm not saying I WANT to be grappling with a zombie in my living room, but if one pops up like a rabid whack-a-mole I want to be able to stiff arm him with one hand and fill him fulla lead with the other. And AR at the bend in the hall ain't gonna let you do that.

Oh yeah...the 40 S&W is GREAT for get-off-me shots in the dark too. At least you don't have 3000 FPS rifled slugs zipping thru walls killing the wife and kids while you blast away at a zombie behind the couch. Rifle in da house! puhLEASE!

Holding an AR-15 with a 16" barrel is roughly the same as having a handgun outstretched. I get twice as many bullets as most service pistols that have greater lethality in the same distances. The white light is already mounted on the gun for easy use AND I get a red dot sight which is mighty fast to use. It's just as easy to rock an AR one handed as it is a handgun. It's all about practice and training. Ever shoot that 18" with a pistol grip in any kind of semi-realistic practice drill or scenario?

Yessir. You are absolutely correct. You surely should be as careful of over travel as possible. But big ole holler points do slow down a lot more in flesh and carry a lot less energy into the sheet rock. I load my 12 gauge with bird shot alternating with slug. Control and minimum penetration as a one-two. If any of my shots over penetrate or miss altogether at least the neighbors are pretty safe. Now if I was tossing .223's, 7.62x39's or whatever the "long gun" du jour for home defense is, then even if I didn't perforate my wife, my neighbors might get ticked about the holes in THEIR walls.

Shoot a slug through a wall and see what happens...

me either. Id go with my FN fs 2000. Loaded to the rim with 10 frangable rounds and 20 Green tip steel core hot ones. If the 10 frangeable rounds dont stop um the steel core will. Yeah baby.

Yeah frangible rounds suck. Thats why I keep a fully loaded molotov cocktail on my nightstand. Its condition one, with the cork stuffed in it and the rag already burning in case I need to throw it down the hallway in a hurry.

Yeah frangible rounds suck. Thats why I keep a fully loaded molotov cocktail on my nightstand. Its condition one, with the cork stuffed in it and the rag already burning in case I need to throw it down the hallway in a hurry.

I put them in for the neighbors benefit. After those 10 rounds they are SOL. Most of my house is made of stone so it will slow them down quite a bit so I dont worry about it.

me either. Id go with my FN fs 2000. Loaded to the rim with 10 frangable rounds and 20 Green tip steel core hot ones. If the 10 frangeable rounds dont stop um the steel core will. Yeah baby.

Wow! Hope yer neighbors have reactive armor siding! 17.44" barrel, 5.56 Nato, 3100 fps with STEEL core. ya sure you don't wanna alternate with tracers just for kicks bro? I have my Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 40 S&W and I would STILL rather investigate with the Glock or 12g.

Wow! Hope yer neighbors have reactive armor siding! 17.44" barrel, 5.56 Nato, 3100 fps with STEEL core. ya sure you don't wanna alternate with tracers just for kicks bro? I have my Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 40 S&W and I would STILL rather investigate with the Glock or 12g.

my house is made of stone. They will be ok. If Im dead, I will care less about the guy next door. Plus I doubt I will need the steel core after the frangeables.

Back
Top Bottom