• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is so much 124gr 9mm available now? What happened to 115gr as the standard rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trader805

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
231   0
Reaction score
It may be just me, but it seems like all the manufacturers are pushing out 124 gr 9 mm ammo at record pace. I was wondering why? 115 gr 9 mm has been the standard, plinking Ammo forever. Why are they going to the extra effort to go 124gr? Are they trying to justify selling for more $? Does anybody know?

Lot of people prefer 24gr. If I have a gun that shoots really well with 24 gr hp then I'm def gonna practice with 24gr fmj.

As far as price I can't say I've ever really payed exceptionally more for it.

I've ran exclusively 124gr for years so that my range and carry ammo somewhat aligned, and until this past year it has always been a chore to track down 124gr FMJ range fodder.

The savings still aren't there for me to reload 9mm given my volume of shooting, so I welcome the flood of 124gr with open arms and wallet.

Yeah, I think everyone just started buying it because of the NATO regulation. People like a standard. I prefer 115 myself too, but I'm getting older and everything I can pull out of that recoil on my snappier toys helps

It may be just me, but it seems like all the manufacturers are pushing out 124 gr 9 mm ammo at record pace. I was wondering why? 115 gr 9 mm has been the standard, plinking Ammo forever. Why are they going to the extra effort to go 124gr? Are they trying to justify selling for more $? Does anybody know?
It is not cheaper to manufacture 115 vs 124. The actual lead may be a few tenths of a cent cheaper but the lighter round uses more powder so it probably equals out.

Now that I think about it, 115 is usually more available from distributors but I try to wait and get the 124 because I assumed that is what people would want.
I can get you all the Winchester white box 115 you want for about $16 a box of 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom