• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why no 45acp lever gun ?

Traditional leverguns like to Winchester 1892 work better with a rimmed cartridge. That’s the main reason that way back when, they were not chambered in .45 Colt......not much time on that cartridge. At least, that’s what I’ve read and been told by knowledgeable folks.

Plenty of modern leverguns in .45 Colt. Read somewhere that the rim diameter of the .45 Colt has increased slightly over the original specs. I’ve handloaded .45 Colt for over 20 years, but don’t know if this is true.

It’s doable, though. Plenty of leverguns that don’t use rimmed cartridges, like the BLR and Winchester 88.

The Marlin Camp Carbine was a neat gun, would like to see it back in production, or something similar. The Marlin was relatively cheap when they were in production, but command a premium nowadays. Something like the takedown Ruger PCC in .45ACP, and running from G21 mags, would be cool.

I always wanted an IMI Timberwolf in .44 Magnum, but nowadays they are difficult to find and expensive when you do. That’s a pump action, though, not a levergun.

Ive often wondered about a short stroke 9mm myself. Likely the flange on the acp rounds casing would need a different ejector mechanism,similar to the 35 rem cartridge.but i guess it boils down the fact that anyone who has the intelligence to figure it out and the machine shop to make it work, hasnt realized there would be a market for it yet

RNC, I have never seen a .45acp lever rifle. But, I am sure somewhere, someone has converted a lever action rifle to .45acp. I guess you could start with a .44mag, bore out the barrel, and then..........wait, why do that? I would rather have a rifle in .44mag!
Nope, never seen one, but that does not they don't or haven't existed in some form or another.

Slightly off subject, but wasn’t someone converting M1 Carbines from .30 Carbine to .45WinMag at one time?

* It was LeMag doing the conversions.

20160201_021432.jpg

Hk make a 45acp Lever Action..LOL Hit the safety lever and she springs into action.. TooooooooMuch Tooooooo Drink.. I will regret this later

RNC, I have never seen a .45acp lever rifle. But, I am sure somewhere, someone has converted a lever action rifle to .45acp. I guess you could start with a .44mag, bore out the barrel, and then..........wait, why do that? I would rather have a rifle in .44mag!
Nope, never seen one, but that does not they don't or haven't existed in some form or another.

I found some chatter about some being converted for or in south America ,but not any made original for the 45 acp.

I'm just a fan of the cartridge :)

IMG_20180107_165712.jpg

Back in the old days when lever guns were popular for general shooting and plinking, not just hunting, most .45 ACP ammo was of the round-nose FMJ configuration.
That bullet style would be dangerous to use in a tubular magazine with the round nose of one bullet resting on the primer of the cartridge in front of it. If the gun's recoil, or just dropping the weapon, caused the round to pop--- chain reaction! Every cartridge in the mag will go. Ka-Boom !!

By the time .45 ACP hollowpoints and lead semi-wadcutters became popular, the American people didn't really want lever guns anymore. They wanted semi-auto carbines. And besides, it would be a real liability risk for a manufacturer to sell a tube-magazine gun that isn't safe to use with copper FMJ bullets when such a bullet style is still very popular (even if other choices are on the market).

Back
Top Bottom