• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why SBR a 5.56 AR?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Been kicking around submitting a form 1 on one of my lowers but struggling to come up with reasons why tbh (other than cool factor of course) Most people i have seen that SBR a lower end up slapping a can on it so back to original length if not longer. I have limited experience with SBRd suppressed lowers but found them to be gassy af, still not hearing safe, and all around kinda unpleasant to shoot. SBRs w/o a can are like a bomb going off a foot from your face and only tolerable for the shooter, and a ****ing nightmare for those around you. I'll probably still break down and stamp one because they do look cool as **** but struggling to justify doing it vs throwing money at something else fun. Love to hear thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

0DBCF18B-037C-4B47-BA6E-2D94F24DC704.jpeg

cause I can…
in jail as we speak. Should be out in 4-5 more weeks

Cause. Then you can build it in 300bo and have something worthwhile, with a can, shorter than a standard.

Attachments

• 6C0FB4F2-1C88-4C1E-8ACE-C47573686587.jpeg
    6C0FB4F2-1C88-4C1E-8ACE-C47573686587.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 25
The main reason to SBR a 5.56 AR for me was to have a suppressed rifle @16". I'm still debating whether to form 1 it or pin and weld the can onto the barrel.

Form 1'ing a lower, though, is more than just for 5.56. 300BLK & .458 SOCOM both are designed to be fired from short barrels and when suppressed are outstanding calibers for any and everything under the sun. Everyone should have at least one lower on a form 1.

Because sooner or later braces will become illegal, and sooner later, I feel like, form 1's will also stop period. Then we will be talking about transferable SBRs and SBSs just like we talk about transferable machine guns now. Plus there is no grey area if you have a stamp. No measuring length of pull, no arguing about what is or is not a vertical grip, where do we measure overall length, etc etc. And the prices of a stamp is not much more than the cost of a decent brace. IMO, there is really no way to lose on SBR.

Back
Top Bottom