• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why SBR a 5.56 AR?

My argument is that .223 isn't hearing safe/pleasant even with a can unless you crank it way down. I do see the .300 blackout argument b/c I have owned a chopped, suppressed MPX in 9mm and that **** was the most fun I have had with guns. .300 ppr just too much.
11.5 properly gassed is plenty hearing safe and a pleasure to shoot in my opinion.

Hey Folks,

Been kicking around submitting a form 1 on one of my lowers but struggling to come up with reasons why tbh (other than cool factor of course) Most people i have seen that SBR a lower end up slapping a can on it so back to original length if not longer. I have limited experience with SBRd suppressed lowers but found them to be gassy af, still not hearing safe, and all around kinda unpleasant to shoot. SBRs w/o a can are like a bomb going off a foot from your face and only tolerable for the shooter, and a ****ing nightmare for those around you. I'll probably still break down and stamp one because they do look cool as **** but struggling to justify doing it vs throwing money at something else fun. Love to hear thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!
I agree it isn't hearing safe...but it is close. quieter than 115gr 9mm out of an unsuppressed pistol for sure. also the concussion and flash are greatly diminished. I tested an 11.5" 556 sbr with can indoors...was no problem. i was wearing hearing protection...but it was night and day compared to the dude doing mag dumps with a 16" ar 2 stalls down.

But really it just depends on what you want to use it for… It sounds like you really don’t want to have an SBR’d AR, so don’t.

If you want a short AR that isn’t neutered with a brace, and you don’t mind paying for the tax stamp or dealing with NFA ****, do it.

As far as hearing protection, If I’m walking down the hallway with a buddy next to me and he’s either shooting a 10.3” suppressed or a 16” unsuppressed, I’d take the suppressed shorty all day.

I have three guns that could use a stamp to ditch the brace, but the going out of state thing still irks me. I am not as read up on the laws for concealing a SBR in a bag like you can with a pistol, but its all kinda grey. Only one gun would really benefit with the stock and forgrip but I am not 100% set on keeping it forever so it makes it a hard decision even if I really want to. If they force my hand with a brace ban then it will be a different story, but the cat is really out of the bag on that issue.

I respectfully disagree. I have 10.3, 11.5, 12.5, 13.7, 14.7, 16, 18, and 20. And of all of them, 11.5 takes the cake. 14.7 is a very close 2nd. The others have a special purpose.
I can agree, but my preference goes to 12.5” for a do-all rifle. With that said, our patrol rifles are 16” Colts and I’ve yet to run into any situation where I wished it was 4” shorter.

Back
Top Bottom