• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why so many different cartridges?

I think the .45 GAP is a fine round and I'd be pleased if it eclipsed the .45 ACP in popularity.
It's a huge improvement, especially if used in guns that have double-column magazines where you want a short round to reduce the circumference of the grip. It also has a stronger case head for less risk of a ka-boom in guns that don't fully support the case all the way to the rim.

But-- I'm not going to buy a gun in .45 GAP unless the gun is reduced in size to match the smaller round, AND I want .45 GAP ammo to be similarly priced, with the same easy availability.

A .308 and .30-06 are in the same class, performance-wise, I agree. The 100-200 f.p.s. velocity difference is minor, and can be negated by handloading.

And neither one of them is really superior to the .300 Savage, which came along in about 1899,

But why would you say that the .308 as "mostly more accuracy" than the '06 ??

** Edited *** I don't know why, either, but a number of online articles document this, citing highpower rifle match scores going back to the 1950s and 1960s, side by side tests, and a lot of anecdotal evidence. I've never noticed it, or even heard it claimed before, until your comment made me go searching for it.

Not much side by side data on the same platforms. As new platforms develop with new calibers, all the development work goes into the new platform and caliber.

Occasionally there is a true break through like the 6mm PPC.

Hmm....

so it goes

The 6.8 was originally produced as a co-effort between Remington and Special OPs Corp to make a cartridge that would work well in a short barrel AR15 in close quarter combat but also reach out and touch someone with more damage than that of the 5.56.. The first attempt failed miserably but the 6.8 spc II was a winner.
The 6.8 is basically a light 270 projectile that can reach speeds up to 3000 fps with the right load and bullet. That's an ass kicker of a round considering the length of the cartridge. You can carry a ton of ammo without to much weight difference between it and the 5.56.. It's one of my favorite cartridges and it's hella accurate as well. I have heard of Elk being downed with this round. That's no easy feat considering the size of the cartridge.
That's where the 6.8 spc II fits in. It started out as a special forces cartridge but turned out so well it went into production. A fine round if you ask me.

A little off topic but still in the same area. I bought several boxes of predator ammo that bumps up the .308 and 30-06 to 3500 fps.. It's a all silver round that just looks cool with a copper round. For a 30 cal round that is just flat out hauling ass. It's sports a 110 gr. projectile. Can you imagine the damage that round would do inside of 200 yards to a body. I would have to say there would be zero survival rate. Needless to say I believe that would take any game in the Americas. 3500 fps people, 300 fps faster than a 5.56 which relies on speed to kill. A 30 cal round traveling at that speed would be devastating.

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time and I always forget. I'm curious to know why there are so many different cartridges in the firearms world. Without going back in history just looking at some recent (to me) offerings I wonder why there are so many. For instance you have .300BO and .300 Whisper. Then you got 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel which I'm guess by the naming convention they arent the same. And where does 6.8SPC factor into the mix? And dont get me started on all the hunting rifle calibers like .243 or .270? I lose track of them all. It seems as though many cartridges might share bullet diameter but different case specs. Whats the point behind it all?

Btw it seems that its only like this in the rifle world. Most handguns are seem to have phased out the oddball offerings like 9x18

same reason everyone isn't riding around on a GSXR600. Great bike and will do many things. You can tour to alaska on one, ride down dirt roads, and run around the track. But there are much better options if you want to specialize. Get a dirt bike for trails, gold wing for touring, GS for adventure rides, etc. There are different tools for the trade. In an ideal world, how many bikes would you have in your garage if you have unlimited budget? think about the same question for shooting.

sure there are many that are very close in performance and spec, but you might not be able to find the rifle you want in the chamber you want. agin to compare it to motorcycles- do you want a 250, 300, 390, 450, 500, 600, 650, 750, 848, 900, 1000, 1290, 1300, 1600, etc. Oh yeah and throw in singles, twins (parallel and V), triples, and four cylinders.

for example, the 270 and 280 are very very similar spec wise. You'd be hard pressed to differentiate them when shooting, or examining something shot with either. But some guns are made in 270, some are made in 280. or maybe you already have a 280 in one type of rifle (bolt action 700 or something) but want the same caliber in a different format- you could pick a 7600 pump in 280 or a ruger #1 in 280. Ditto for 22 hornet and 218 bee. They won't do anything a 223 would do but would I rather have a Winchester 65 or another AR15?

Or maybe 300 black out vs. 6.8spc. IMHO if you are going to shoot subsonic with a can, buy a 300 blackout. If you want to hunt and aren't throwing thousands of rounds downrange and want something in an AR platform, the 6.8 is a great option.

It's great to have options and even better to be able to afford them. :)

I think the .45 GAP is a fine round and I'd be pleased if it eclipsed the .45 ACP in popularity.
It's a huge improvement, especially if used in guns that have double-column magazines where you want a short round to reduce the circumference of the grip. It also has a stronger case head for less risk of a ka-boom in guns that don't fully support the case all the way to the rim.

And that right there answers YOUR original question, as one can find certain things that may be different from other cartridges, but does it really make the new cartridge better?
In this case the 45 ACP operates at a pressure of 21,000 PSI, even in Plus P it operates at 23,000 PSI.
any weapon thats blowing brass at that pressure is either out of time or the ammo is well over spec.
at the end of the day the 45 GAP does nothing that the 45 acp doesn't do.
IF one is worried about size due to double stacked mags then why would they not go 40 S & W and get more power, more capacity and reduce frame size. again an already existing caliber.
that's kind of why the 40 was developed in the first place.
but hey, you can get great deals on weapons chambered in the 45 GAP round , that's the good news.

Some of the naming conventions are a bit wonky. Some like the .243, .284 and .308 have the bullet diameter in the name. Then you have things like .223 which shoots a .224. Or 300 win mag that shoots .308. Good luck with euro .30 cal as they run .31 something.

Everyone has got to build a better mouse trap. What does the new 22 nosler do that a 22250 or 220 swift wont?

The 22 nosler will shoot in a AR15 platform. Im looking at getting one for the DMR matches

Back
Top Bottom