• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anyone buy your homebuilt Franken AR?

Flute job?

Explain or post a link
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170103_abf881d1d321ecd3d7e6a32f5e50d848.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170103_c0e3aa7664a5b87ac181cbdecdffe297.jpg

Nah, just lego's... my short time messing with them, I have seen the following, some through write ups, but many in person (having to fix myself):

Gas block mis-aligned
Barrel not dimpled if using a set screw type gas block
No red loctite on gas block set screws
Finishing nail used to retain gas tube in gas block instead of correct roll pin
Hammer spring in backwards
Gas tube literally forced "installed" upside down
Broken lower receiver trigger guard tabs from not supporting them while driving in the pin
Castle nuts "tightened" and installed without staking or Aeroshell
Muzzle devices installed upside down or barely half a turn on a crush washer
Sights installed backwards
Nails used to pin a FSB instead of taper pins
Wrong length gas tube installed and the person wondered why their BCG wouldn't "fit"
Magazine catch only installed 1-2 turns
Monolithic type rail "installed" without aligning the rail with the receiver
Gas key on BCG not properly staked and leaking
Bolt catch roll pin installed improperly splitting the lower receiver (just came up on another site)
Bargain bin barrels with loose barrel extensions
Firing pin left out of the BCG and action getting locked up
Disconnector spring not installed
Action lubed with wheel bearing grease (alot of it) causing the rifle to short stroke/not cycle
Rifle/standard/a3 feed ramp barrel extensions used on an M4 feed ramp receiver (not saying it will 100% not cycle, but could cause a malfunction)

ETA: I am sure there are others things that happened I forgot about, but who cares, right?

but but but dude! legos! all the same, an AR is an AR is an AR!!!! assembly and materials don't count!

nice post bud

I might buy one for parts. That's it. just the parts. Same with "home build" FALs, just the parts interest me.

Makes sense. That would be the only reason I would consider buying one.

If I were going to put one together, it would be for fun and to better understand the intricacies of how the gun works.

Trust me on this one everyone, if I ever post a frankengun that I built, you don't want it!

Makes sense. That would be the only reason I would consider buying one.

If I were going to put one together, it would be for fun and to better understand the intricacies of how the gun works.

Trust me on this one everyone, if I ever post a frankengun that I built, you don't want it!

I'd buy yours in a second because of the last line in your post.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom