• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would someone bury plastic pots and small styrofoam coolers in a bed?

Most likely, they ran out of money and had to stop the reno. Got about 60% done and busted. We got a deal on the house because of that, but had a lot of issues to work through.

Master bath flooring was layered over house siding as the base material, main drain lines were full of latex paint balls and hand towels, ceiling fan in great room (24') was hanging by the power wires only, doors painted shut, on and on and on.

We had Darkdiesel there for about a month I think getting the electrical sorted out.......
Good Lord. I just dug up a section of romex IN A ****ING FLOWER BED that terminated in curved piece of conduit leading to a box mounted on the wall. WTF buries romex in a location where PEOPLE ARE BOUND TO BE DIGGING WITH METAL TOOLS? Lazy ****er only buried it 4" under grade too.

Good Lord. I just dug up a section of romex IN A ****ING FLOWER BED that terminated in curved piece of conduit leading to a box mounted on the wall. WTF buries romex in a location where PEOPLE ARE BOUND TO BE DIGGING WITH METAL TOOLS? Lazy ****er only buried it 4" under grade too.
That's shocking.

Hey! He knew where it was, and knew to not dig there.
And most of your metal tools got wooden handles, so there’s that.

Absolutely the wrong way to do it. Tearing a few roots is not going to hurt the plant. Leaving it root bound will do exponentially more harm. Just cut the pot off if you can't get it to release and carefully loosen the roots before planting.
I did landscaping for 3 years through high school and you are 100% correct. We would pull the roots apart at the bottom of the root ball to encourage growth. Pack the dirt tightly around the sides of plant and water the heck out of it to help establish the plant.

That's cheap heat tape!!

Don't be too hard. check the codes on the cable. There is underground rated Romex.

I used to be an electrician's helper for commercial work, and as I remember (fifty years ago) we couldn't use it. If you did you had to run it in the same cut as a pipe or something to prevent what you describe, We could use underground rated service cable, in fact my house now has that. but it has tougher outer sheathing.

But I think a lot of residential features are wired with it, fish ponds, fountains, shops.

Point being is does exist.

Don't be too hard. check the codes on the cable. There is underground rated Romex.

I used to be an electrician's helper for commercial work, and as I remember (fifty years ago) we couldn't use it. If you did you had to run it in the same cut as a pipe or something to prevent what you describe, We could use underground rated service cable, in fact my house now has that. but it has tougher outer sheathing.

But I think a lot of residential features are wired with it, fish ponds, fountains, shops.

Point being is does exist.
This line was going to a fish pond. I just questioned his use in a flower bed unprotected. We tore the fish pond out.

This line was going to a fish pond. I just questioned his use in a flower bed unprotected. We tore the fish pond out.
I wouldn't do it, especially now that plastic conduit is available, but running it bare is allowed.

Hell, my TV cable is 4" deep and I can't till parts of my yard. Cable company says they will be glad to give me extra punches on my TS card. Not only that but it runs diagonally across the whole front yard, so there's not an entirely safe area.

Back
Top Bottom