• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

wife shotgun help

MYCAR47562

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
Need Help, I don't like the idea of my wife at home without her own shotgun( i have mine but for some reason she doesn't ever want to mess with it.) now im thinking f getting her a gun and was wondering if yall thought i should get her to try a pump or semi first? i think she may be recoil sensitive but ive never got her to shoot a rifle so i can't be certain.

Now before i get the let her pick out her gun... i know and i will im just trying to get an idea if semi would be a better choice or if i suggest she stay away from them.

I like the pump..the noise of that rack by itself will scare the devil out of a bad guy (there's nothing else that sounds like that and it is very intimidating) , if she has to fire, it's a shotgun she's not likely to miss and even if she did he won't hang around for the next one, he'll hurt himself trying to get out.
The pump in my humble opinion is safer for an inexperienced shooter and if you have children around anytime..it can be kept safely with no round in the chamber but easier to chamber a round, the "pump" also being the forearm and being easier to access due to it's size especially in the dark, instead of the small bolt extension used to chamber the round in a semi. Also, it's easier for the inexperienced to KNOW when a round is in the chamber because they have to physically put it there and take it out themselves (reduces the opportunity for accidental discharge). That's why the majority of police dept. issue pumps.
Hope this helps you in your decision making process.

I've got a Remington 870 Youth model in 20gauge for the wife. It is a 21" vent rib barrel with a youth stock. I put a Choate +3 extension on it. It's a very nice little shotgun that even she can shoot.

My wife has a pump action 20 gauge Home defense and shoots it very well. We went with pump because I had reservations on whether or not she could deal with a jamming issue with auto and she was pretty confident in the pump already. Just my opinion.

I like the pump..the noise of that rack by itself will scare the devil out of a bad guy (there's nothing else that sounds like that and it is very intimidating) , if she has to fire, it's a shotgun she's not likely to miss and even if she did he won't hang around for the next one, he'll hurt himself trying to get out.

I can't agree with all of your post. Most folks swear by the "rack" noise of the shotgun scaring off the bad guy. In my opinion, all that is going to do is alert them to your location.

And contrary to popular belief, you still have to "aim" a shotgun, especially in close quarters.

I agree that a pump action 20 gauge, with a youth stock is the best bet for a woman in the home, provided she is proficient with it.

I can't agree with all of your post. Most folks swear by the "rack" noise of the shotgun scaring off the bad guy. In my opinion, all that is going to do is alert them to your location.

And contrary to popular belief, you still have to "aim" a shotgun, especially in close quarters.

I agree that a pump action 20 gauge, with a youth stock is the best bet for a woman in the home, provided she is proficient with it.

This can't be emphasized enough. At close range, a shotgun definitely needs to be aimed. The mass of pellets are travelling very close together, even with a short barrel. Also, racking a shotgun and scaring someone may work, but don't count on it. It gives away your position provided the intruder even hears it. You also run the risk of inducing a malfunction before you get your first shot off. Having it patrol ready (aka tube loaded no round in the chamber) should only be considered for safety purposes.

Blackhawk makes a replacement stock (adjustable or traditional) for certain model of shotguns that reduces felt recoil by over 50%+. They are selling for $120 or $135, but I bought mine a year ago on ebay for $80. They are well worth it if she is recoil sensitive, but that might limit you to the model of shotguns these stock will fit.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Shotgun-Stocks,165.htm

This. You are looking at about a 5" pattern at 10-15 yards.

I think the first thing you should do is take her to a range, etc., let her fire a shotgun and determine her capabilitys with it. Most women I know are scared to death of them. There's not a lot of Sara Conners out there. In a case of self-defense, I don't want my wife to have a weapon she's tentative of using, with the operational difficulties of releasing a safety, chambering a round, shouldering the weapon, etc., and the inherent fear of recoil. That's why I go with a snub-nose .38 with 158 gr. HP's for mine, home & away. She can cycle it double action (something that should always be checked), no safety, is not afraid of it, and it's point and shoot. If I'm at home then I go for the Defender.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom