• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

wife shotgun help

I can't agree with all of your post. Most folks swear by the "rack" noise of the shotgun scaring off the bad guy. In my opinion, all that is going to do is alert them to your location.

And contrary to popular belief, you still have to "aim" a shotgun, especially in close quarters.

I agree that a pump action 20 gauge, with a youth stock is the best bet for a woman in the home, provided she is proficient with it.

If you were coming into a dark building for me , that giving away position would be a serious factor because I am a well trained individual in tactics an survival..your avg scum bag hairball isn't and the have to aim, I took that as a given of course you have to..we don't really disagree, I looked at it as teaching an inexperienced person survival not turning them into a tactician as it is unlikely the avg housewife will invest that much time and effort. I am a trained individual and if a person in a dark room racked a shotgun,,my training tells me to back off and re-assess and shift gears. Now as a LEO, I would HAVE to devise a way to deal with this which is whole extra page, but as an intruder I would opt to leave and find an easier victim, he doesn't want his intestines turned to hamburger either.
I meant to recommend the .20 ga. thanks for getting my back on this one..owe you a cold beer.

If you were coming into a dark building for me , that giving away position would be a serious factor because I am a well trained individual in tactics an survival..your avg scum bag hairball isn't and the have to aim, I took that as a given of course you have to..we don't really disagree, I looked at it as teaching an inexperienced person survival not turning them into a tactician as it is unlikely the avg housewife will invest that much time and effort. I am a trained individual and if a person in a dark room racked a shotgun,,my training tells me to back off and re-assess and shift gears. Now as a LEO, I would HAVE to devise a way to deal with this which is whole extra page, but as an intruder I would opt to leave and find an easier victim, he doesn't want his intestines turned to hamburger either.
I meant to recommend the .20 ga. thanks for getting my back on this one..owe you a cold beer.

What about the meth head that doesn't associate racking a shotgun with stopping?

HOw many pellet's are there between a 12 and a 20 guage say in 00 buck? any suggested rounds? and i would play to work her way up to more powerful loads.

HS410.jpgFound more info on the Mossy .410

"One excellent .410 bore shotgun for home defense was actually designed specifically for that task...wonder of wonders. The Mossberg HS410 (the "HS" an acronym for "Home Security", model #50359) is a 6 shot pump action shotgun with an 18 ½" barrel having a spreader choke, ideal for close action shooting in home defense situations. The stock is synthetic and the right length of pull for women and older children (but still works with large men), the action extremely rugged and reliable, and the short length makes it very handy in confined spaces. The price? About $360.00 in 2005."

He won't be far from a real good education.

we'll just have to agree to disagree. i know the racking sound might scare some but i don't play that. if a bad guy hears my slide it means somehow he survived the 1st shot. i prefer loaded, safety on. but to each their own. i use a handgun for hd right now. i'd get her either a 20 ga or 410 if she's real recoil shy. not 1 st choice but 410 with buckshot will do.

I would think real hard about 410. Even out of a 26 inch barrel, 410 does not have very good man stopping power. It's a gun best used for small game and skeet. With it preforming so poorly out of a shotgun, I can't believe some people think it will be good in a handgun.

If recoil is any issue, you may try a 16 or 20. Although it has been my experience that most women don't care for 20's much more than 12's.

You may want to ditch the entire shotgun idea for her all together. She may be better off with a pistol caliber carbine, or even a 5.56 carbine.

Now if you just want to buy her a shotgun as an excuse to get yourself a new gun, (trust me, I do this often) then get whatever you want.

Oh, and racking the slide to scare an intruder is stupid. If a person is going to be scared off by a shotgun, chances are they don't think anybody is home, in which case simply clearing your throat will have the same effect. If they come into your home while they know you are home, chances are they intend to do you harm, and more than likely have already planned ahead against something like a shotgun.

This first indicator an intruder should have that you are there is a blinding light in there face from your light as you assess the threat, once that threat has been assessed, you need to be shooting or standing down immediately. This in not the time to be screwing around trying to chamber a round.

Let me put it to you this way. Let's say in a couple of years my wife has an affair, and I lose my dang mind. Let's say as a result I get mixed up with the party lifestyle and find myself strung out on meth. Now sure, today I am a great upstanding member of the community, but things like that happen all the time to better people than me. Now let's say because I get all screwed up with meth, I start breaking into houses to feed my addiction. I'm trained too, and more than likely would not engage in breaking and entering unarmed. Now let's say I break into your house some night when you are not at home but your wife is. As I am sneaking around your house looking for things to steal, I hear a shotgun rack.....now at this point, I don't know if your wife is a man or a woman, I don't know if whoever racked the shotgun intends to shoot any second, or if they are just hoping I run because they racked the shotgun. What am I going to do? More than likely, I am going to quickly fire off a bunch of rounds in the direction of the threat as I run away. Not because I want to cause your wife harm, but I at least want to keep who ever has the shotgun busy long enough for me to get away. Hopefully my shots since they will be not be aimed will all miss, and none of them will kill your wife or your kids, or disable them for life.

Now, I know that some may say that is and extreme, but really, I don't think it is all that unlikely.

Not all criminals are criminals from birth.

Last edited:
we'll just have to agree to disagree. i know the racking sound might scare some but i don't play that. if a bad guy hears my slide it means somehow he survived the 1st shot. i prefer loaded, safety on. but to each their own. i use a handgun for hd right now. i'd get her either a 20 ga or 410 if she's real recoil shy. not 1 st choice but 410 with buckshot will do.
You have a good bit of experience.
..my impression was we were we talking about a beginner I teach beginners differently that I do experienced shooters, I am also considering that a housewife may have children about and a safety isn't difficult for a small child to get around..much easier than having to rack.
I am not all all trying to argue with you I always look forward to seeing your post, you are one of the sharper blades in the drawer.
The only thing, you can do with these inquiring type posts is take them at face value and give the best general answer, you draw from your experience. Post instructors don't recommend LEO's to transport or store with a live round chambered..it's an accident in the making.
Now on other hand.. how you keep one in your home is up to you..An experienced person , no kids around, no one picking up looking at it that doesn't understand the premise that ALL WEAPONS ARE CONSIDERED LOADED ALL THE TIME and does the natural novice thing ..pull the trigger, no one ever touching it except them may be okay with one in the chamber unless some one accidentally knocks the safety off and doesn't know it and you pick it up and accidentally snag the trigger on something. Accidental discharges do happen, to frequently, even to the most experienced among us.
As a former POST Inst...I just can't recommend it.

Either way she will know how to aim and shoot it, it would be kept tube full no round in chamber. I understand the giving away your location but i doubt they wouldn't go up stairs anyway so ill keep the hope that they are scared and run.

20 ga isn't something i had thought of and maybe what i have to get.. ill have to talk with her.

Back
Top Bottom