• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

wife shotgun help

[Oh, and racking the slide to scare an intruder is stupid/QUOTE]

I must confess that in 20 + years as a POST Certified Instructor..I never heard an instructor say that. HAVE THEY CHANGED THE LESSON PLANS?

[Oh, and racking the slide to scare an intruder is stupid/QUOTE]

I must confess that in 20 + years as a POST Certified Instructor..I never heard an instructor say that. HAVE THEY CHANGED THE LESSON PLANS?
And in 32 + years of being the child of a Police officer who was also the departments certified Instructor, and going through countless classes, and state certified training programs, most "POST" certified instructors don't know their butt from a hole in the wall. There is a reason they are teaching for the state, instead of making good money running a reputable firearms school.

Edit to add. Not to mention, if I ever had a paid instructor tell me that racking a shotgun is more than likely enought to "scare" away an intruder I would have a hard time not calling him stupid and walking out of his class. Statements like that get people killed.

Last edited:
We had a similar thread a few weeks ago, and this was my .02 cents.. This is my "Mr. Mossberg" that my Wife is comfortable with. It kicks like a mule, but She hangs on it with that Tac Star front grip. It's a 12 of course loaded with 3" 00 buck.

i55.tinypic.com_2zgcbau.jpg

How about a couple of ferocious dogs? Better to deter them than to fight it out inside.

There you go. I will take a couple of dogs over the sound of a shotgun rack any day of the week. Dogs make noise, while they are easily defeated, the time it takes to so, not to mention the act of doing so will enable you to better prepare for the threat, as well as assess the threat for what it is.

you willing to bet her life on that? In essence that is what you are saying.

i taught mine about cover and concealment and to keep something between her and the intruder..i also taught her not to turn the light on as it blinds her as well.i taught her to pick her spot and let him come to her..
Yes , i'm confident she can handle it because i taught her how... And i taught her many other things because i have the ability to do it correctly because i was trained to teach it correctly...how many of the general readers have that ability, they are asking for safe guidance that they can apply at home that won't be practiced on a regular basis for years.
I wouldn't begin to teach some of the things i know to a layman..he wouldn't practice as much as i have and he could end up with some dire consequences.
You willing to bet your children's lives on keeping one in the chamber of shotgun in the closet which is where most of them will be..i knew a man that killed his son at 2:00 am that would seriously disagree with you. He would have gladly given his own life for that extra 1/10 of second.
Tactical training for street survival isn't necessarily the rule to follow at home.

Last edited:
And in 32 + years of being the child of a Police officer who was also the departments certified Instructor, and going through countless classes, and state certified training programs, most "POST" certified instructors don't know their butt from a hole in the wall. There is a reason they are teaching for the state, instead of making good money running a reputable firearms school.

Edit to add. Not to mention, if I ever had a paid instructor tell me that racking a shotgun is more than likely enought to "scare" away an intruder I would have a hard time not calling him stupid and walking out of his class. Statements like that get people killed.

Oh . well..obviously , you are much more qualified than I so I will stop wasting my time.

i taught mine about cover and concealment and to keep something between her and the intruder..i also taught her not to turn the light on as it blinds her as well.i taught her to pick her spot and let him come to her..
Yes , i'm confident she can handle it because i taught her how... And i taught her many other things because i have the ability to do it correctly because i was trained to teach it correctly...how many of the general readers have that ability, they are asking for safe guidance that they can apply at home that won't be practiced on a regular basis for years.
I wouldn't begin to teach some of the things i know to a layman..he wouldn't practice as much as i have and he could end up with some dire consequences.
You willing to bet your children's lives on keeping one in the chamber of shotgun in the closet which is where most of them will be..i knew a man that killed his son at 2:00 am that would seriously disagree with you. He would haven gladly given his own life for that extra 1/10 of second.
Tactical training for street survival isn't necessarily the rule to follow at home.

I was not arguing for or against keeping one in the chamber, I was arguing against the statement that a racking shotgun will scare away an intruder. No, I am not willing to bet the lives of my children by keeping a loaded chambered shotgun in the house. This is why I choose not to defend my home with a shotgun. Honestly, even if I lived alone, I wouldn't rely on a shotgun for home defense. In my situation I feel I am much better of armed with a suppressed short barreled rifle chambered in 5.56. Now if I lived in an apartment complex, I would feel differently about the rifle, however I still don't think I would choose the shotgun, and would me more apt to rely on a pistol to defend my home.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of one reason why I would ever choose a shotgun to defend my home, unless of course I was being attacked by crows.

Back
Top Bottom