• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

wife shotgun help

might look into th e reducd recoil loads for hd. less recoil but very effective. 410 would be last option. but better than nothing. keeping the gun 'cruiser' ready is another option. no round in chamber but the slide release already pushed. that way you can rack quickly without fumbling for thee release.

I was not arguing for or against keeping one in the chamber, I was arguing against the statement that a racking shotgun will scare away an intruder. No, I am not willing to bet the lives of my children by keeping a loaded chambered shotgun in the house. This is why I choose not to defend my home with a shotgun. Honestly, even if I lived alone, I wouldn't rely on a shotgun for home defense. In my situation I feel I am much better of armed with a suppressed short barreled rifle chambered in 5.56. Now if I lived in an apartment complex, I would feel differently about the rifle, however I still don't think I would choose the shotgun, and would me more apt to rely on a pistol to defend my home.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of one reason why I would ever choose a shotgun to defend my home, unless of course I was being attacked by crows.

Actually I don't either and I don't recommend it, I believe a handgun is safer because you don't have so many projectiles moving at the same time that could miss their mark with unintended consequences. .. I answered the question, the gentleman asked.

Never said I was, just that a large portion of state funded instructors are morons. I am not saying all, and I am not saying that you are, but if you worked in that line of work long, I am sure you met more than your share of guys that you wouldn't trust with a BB gun.

Not in my organization..if you weren't competent, you were removed from the roster and yes I have and I see a number of them in posts on this site.

By the way I was POST Certified as were a number of my fellow LEO's, I never worked for POST, I worked for a state LE Agency as a criminal investigator for over 30 yrs..so I'm not a career teacher who never had to practice what I preached so to speak.

Last edited:
Not in my organization..if you wren't competent, you were removed from the roster and yes I have and I see a number of them in posts on this site.

By the way I was POST Certified as were a number of my fellow LEO's, I never worked for POST, I worked for a state LE Agency as a criminal investigator for over 30 yrs..so I'm not a career teacher who never had to practice what I preached so to speak.

Fair enough.

I just went back and read your initial post, and see that you just said it will scare the crap out of them, not that it is a good way to scare them away. I can't argue with the fact that more than likely a pump shotgun will scare the piss out of anybody. I actually came into the conversation about 5 posts down, and it looked to me like somebody had said that pumping a shotgun will usually scare off a bad guy, which is a unwise blanket statement that many have too much faith in. Looking back, I now see that you did not make that statement, so I guess this was all just one big misunderstanding.

Carry on.

There you go. I will take a couple of dogs over the sound of a shotgun rack any day of the week. Dogs make noise, while they are easily defeated, the time it takes to so, not to mention the act of doing so will enable you to better prepare for the threat, as well as assess the threat for what it is.

I agree a dog is an excellent alarm, and will deter or slow down an intruder, buying you time and an extra benefit is if he's big enough and trained properly (You all know I'm big on training) perhaps the intruder will leave his marbles behind when he flees and they can be run on the DNA data base and he can go to jail as well.

Back
Top Bottom