• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a .22 Mag Revolver

Good idea letting her pick out what she likes instead of "telling her".

In many years of teaching one of the biggest mistakes I have to contend with are men picking out what gun a woman will like. That's like picking out a purse or pair of shoes... for best results the woman needs to either make the decision themselves or at least be involved in the decision.

Noise should not have anything with defensive firearm selection as all shooting should only be done with both eye & eye protection. Granted in a self-defense situation you won't have them but when shooting under high stress the body often shuts out loud noises.
However when shooting recreationally, in addition to damaging ones hearing, loud shots also induce both flinching & overload the shooters senses.... encouraging them to pick out a weaker gun.

While a .22Mag is less reliable in design since it is a rimfire cartridge as opposed to the more larger, more reliable centerfire ones, the Ruger LCR .22Mag. is probably going to be the best option.
Lightweight, not too heavy of a trigger (though it must be pulled consistently all the way through or it will skip over a chamber or bind up), & not too big to carry.

Back in my youth we shot a bleach bottle from inside a truck out on a farm. I was def for three days. Damn things are loud as hell. Consider ammo it's virtually non existent now.

Also I would look at the 327 mag as well. More take down power and holds seven shots as well. It will use 32 H&R mag, 32 long and 32 S&W. 20 percent less recoil than a a 357 and pretty close to terminal performance of the 357. Ruger make a beautiful one. The ability to use 4 different cartridges is attractive. A 32 has very little recoil. You need to stress take down power. Someone on crystal meth is going to walk right through a 22 mag. It's seems like a good cartridge and I love it but I have seen ground hogs shot in the side run off and dive in the hole. Doesn't really have enough umph. However if that is what she likes it might just give her the confidence to walk down the street and feel safe. It's a false sense of safety in all reality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom