• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a .22 Mag Revolver

their web site does not show one in .22Mag (I may have missed it though)
Yeah see its tough to get THE perfect 22 Mag revolver. I looked for one like you're talking about a while back.You can find a 22 LR snub from 2 or 3 different companies and they will be 8 or 9 round cylinder. But when you find one in 22 Mag its only a 6 round cylinder. So you may be looking for a while. If you find one that works but ain't hammerless you can always have the hammer spur shaved off. I did that on a Smith snub years ago.

Hey if you look around you might find the short slide version of the old 22 Mag Automag from AMT. The downside is that it's a single action auto.

Last edited:
A short 22mag is the most painful pistol round to my ears. My ears ring for hours after one shot. A 9mm is not nearly as bad in my opinion.

Anyone agree?

Yes! I do think so. Like I said when I lived in Oklahoma we were coming back from a fishing trip. My crazy ass friend drew down on a turkey and shot at it with the gun outside the truck. I was def for three days. Ears were ringing and the whole shabang. It was a Ruger with the inter-changable barrels. It was the loudest gun I have ever heard short of a 50 BMG. I think it's louder in a revolver from the escaping gases where the cylinder mates with the barrel. I don't know about a auto loader but that thing was ridiculous. I love the 22 mag cartridge in a rifle. I have one and always will. One thing that pisses me off is the total lack of ammo availability right now. It's virtually non existent.

My wife wants the same!!! Tried her on .380 and 9mm...tooo much recoil for here!

I said the same thing. A 22 is a plinker gun and is no way a self defense gun unless she can hit the pupil of his eye in a high stress encounter. Have her fondle every gun at the cases at something like Adventure Outdoors where they have a thousand pistols. Find one that fits her hand and have a trigger job done on it. If she is going to carry a gun don't skimp on caliber for Gods and hers sake. A gun can be tailored to her liking as far as trigger. There is simply to many guns in adequate caliber out there for her not to find one that feels good in her hands. At that point make sure she can rack the slide ( not the case in a revolver ) and put it through the ringer at a gun shop as far as trigger goes.
As far as noise goes she won't notice that when the SHTF. Get her comfortable at the range with the one she gets and just practice, practice, practice.
I got my Springfield 1911 down to the point where I can put two shots in the kill zone of silhouette targets in about 3 seconds. My friend didn't believe that until I picked up his Kimber and took his money all the way to the bank. LOL
I do believe a 380 can be effective with today's loads and projectiles if you empty the clip in him but if there is multiple targets then all bets are off. It's just a mini nine mil.
Except the news is full of folks who successfully defend themselves with .22's.

As far as that 'adequate caliber' nonsense, if an individual can't shoot it well it ain't adequate.

Accuracy trumps caliber every single time.

LCR. Best little revolver out there right now and the 22 Mag is a nasty little round, it has a lot more 'oomph' than people give it credit for.

If you think you can up the recoil a notch though, I've been hearing great things about the LCR in 327 Federal Magnum as well.

My wife wants the same!!! Tried her on .380 and 9mm...tooo much recoil for here!
This is the reason I bought my wife a LCR in 22 mag with crimson trace laser grips. We went to the range yesterday and she shot it pretty good and the recoil was fine for her. The trigger is a little more stout on the 22 mag as opposed to the LCR 38 but I guess that is because it is a rim fire.She carries it in a concealed carry purse with 2 speed loaders.

We also put about 100 rounds through the kel-tec pmr 30 without any issues but it is a little big for concealed carry. It will be used for home defense for her...30 rounds of 22 mag should get the job done.

Except the news is full of folks who successfully defend themselves with .22's.

As far as that 'adequate caliber' nonsense, if an individual can't shoot it well it ain't adequate.

Accuracy trumps caliber every single time.
A 22 cal is an assassins gun. You need nerves of steel and be able to shave a birds scrotum at 30 yards with a pistol. Some one who has never been in that high stress environment is going to need a little extra to pop to stop an idiot. Will a 22 kill a human you say? You damn right it will and do it quickly. However those people who are effective with one shoot all the time or grew up in the country with a pistol in their hands since birth. Remember not far back a lady was in the closet with her children and emptied a 38 revolver in the face of an intruder. They ran him down several blocks from the house. Which proves your point of accuracy over caliber every time. I think that lady was using fmj loads or it would have been a different story. She hit her mark 5 out of 6 shots in the head and the perp ran off. Which proves my point. Vital shots to the organs with a adequate caliber. In most cases a 22 is going to pis someone off and end up killing their self for shooting in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom