• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a .22 Mag Revolver

Hammer less snub nose 327 mag., get her comfortable with the light 32 loads and put the mags in for Self defense. If something happens she will be so amped up the last thing on her mind will be noise and recoil. Get her a 22 mag to shoot and enjoy at the range. Give her some trigger time with the PD gun to be familiar. Men need to step up to the plate and explain that personal defense is not a comfortable subject nor should it be addressed so. Training with a 22 mag is still giving her the basic good shooting tactics that will show up in a situation gone bad. Taking on a carry gun could very well get you killed. It has to be a way of life. For example keeping her hand on the weapon in a dimly lite parking lot walking to her car. Most people don't realize there is more to strapping on a hog leg and calling it covered. I think you mentioned some self defense classes. That would be the best thing you could give her. I will say it again a 22 strike to the shoulder is going to pis a druged out fool off.

A 22 cal is an assassins gun. You need nerves of steel and be able to shave a birds scrotum at 30 yards with a pistol. Some one who has never been in that high stress environment is going to need a little extra to pop to stop an idiot. Will a 22 kill a human you say? You damn right it will and do it quickly. However those people who are effective with one shoot all the time or grew up in the country with a pistol in their hands since birth. Remember not far back a lady was in the closet with her children and emptied a 38 revolver in the face of an intruder. They ran him down several blocks from the house. Which proves your point of accuracy over caliber every time. I think that lady was using fmj loads or it would have been a different story. She hit her mark 5 out of 6 shots in the head and the perp ran off. Which proves my point. Vital shots to the organs with a adequate caliber. In most cases a 22 is going to pis someone off and end up killing their self for shooting in the first place.

An assassin's gun you say? You mean like this lady? I'm guessing she was using her job as a private school councilor as a cover for her secret life as an assassin...

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/police-woman-shot-intruder-9-times-in-self-defense/nFB7g/

"The woman tried to fight the man off with a shower a rod, and he forced her into her bedroom, police said. They said she told her attacker she had money in the room. But she grabbed a .22-caliber handgun and shot the man nine times, police said."

I'm guessing this steely eyes assassin got his start early as he was only 24 when this happened.

"Think a .22-caliber handgun is insufficient for home defense? Don’t tell that to 24-year-old Daniel Williams of Hermon, Maine, whose .22 proved more than adequate in fending off two men during a recent home invasion."

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/de...2-for-defense-in-home-invasion/#ixzz3xYoXRpks

This gent must have been in the OSS...

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...home-intruder-cites-defense-article-1.1151926

"
A 92-year-old World War II veteran proved that he can still shoot and kill on sight.

Kentucky farmer Earl Jones heard a crash in his basement, so he reached for his .22-caliber rifle and sat with it in his lap for about 20 minutes on Monday morning

Jones of Boone County aimed the rifle after hearing footsteps climb the stairs. When the intruder — 24-year-old Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell — kicked open the basement door, Jones fired a bullet into his chest, killing him around 2:30 a.m"

How about quit spreading gun store ninja and keyboard commando myths and stick with some facts?

Remember not far back a lady was in the closet with her children and emptied a 38 revolver in the face of an intruder. They ran him down several blocks from the house. Which proves your point of accuracy over caliber every time. I think that lady was using fmj loads or it would have been a different story. She hit her mark 5 out of 6 shots in the head and the perp ran off. Which proves my point. Vital shots to the organs with a adequate caliber. In most cases a 22 is going to pis someone off and end up killing their self for shooting in the first place.

You might want to double check your facts before building your case.

"Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach."

"The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said."

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/woman-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/nTm7s/

I believe two of the shootings mentioned previously were the ones in Buford (the lady w/ the .22) & Loganville (the lady with the .38 revolver.

Yes accuracy is critical.
While there have been too many successful defensive uses of a .22 to totally discount it for use there are many problems with the round.
It being rim fire it is much more prone to malfunctions due to rim fire being a much less reliable primer system than centerfire.

Also .22's are very prone to other stoppages such as failure to fully chamber due to the round being such a "dirty" round, causing fouling in both the action & chamber.

Lastly, being such a weak round if the attacker has on thick clothing or if the hits are not in the vitals & the attacker is high on narcotics, full of adrenaline, or fully committed to killing you, then the rounds do not create much of a wound channel.

That is why it is not in use by any police agency & is not recommended by any professional Instructor except in very limited circumstances.
In almost 7 years of instructing hundreds of students I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the shooters simply could not handle anything larger due to significant handstrength issues.

In most cases ladies choose it because they are either given bad advice/ Instruction, they aren't willing to shoot enough to build proficiency with a more effective round, or they simply don't like guns & think they can just scare somebody off with it.

A .22 is better than a sharp stick or harsh words but it is by no means considered a "go to" defensive caliber.

It may cause a wound that eventually proves fatal but is not known for being able to consistently stop an attacker right now which should be the goal of using a firearm defensively.

I believe two of the shootings mentioned previously were the ones in Buford (the lady w/ the .22) & Loganville (the lady with the .38 revolver.

While there have been too many successful defensive uses of a .22 to totally discount it for use there are many problems with the round.
It being rim fire it is much more prone to malfunctions due to rim fire being a much less reliable primer system than centerfire.

Also .22's are very prone to other stoppages such as failure to fully chamber due to the round being such a "dirty" round, causing fouling in both the action & chamber.

Lastly, being such a weak round if the attacker has on thick clothing or if the hits are not in the vitals & the attacker is high on narcotics, full of adrenaline, or fully committed to killing you, then the rounds do not create much of a wound channel.

That is why it is not in use by any police agency & is not recommended by any professional Instructor except in very limited circumstances.
In almost 7 years of instructing hundreds of students I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the shooters simply could not handle anything larger due to significant handstrength issues.

In most cases ladies choose it because they are either given bad advice/ Instruction, they aren't willing to shoot enough to build proficiency with a more effective round, or they simply don't like guns & think they can just scare somebody off with it.

A .22 is better than a sharp stick or harsh words but it is by no means considered a "go to" defensive caliber.

It may cause a wound that eventually proves fatal but is not known for being able to consistently stop an attacker right now which should be the goal of using a firearm defensively.

i'd just rather someone have a gun and be confident and effective. forcing ones way up to a caliber their not comfortable with isn't helping anyone. jmho

Monty, I think you're falling into the trap of thinking that the only way to stop an attack is to kill the attacker. We both know that's simply not true. We both also know that handguns are pitiful popguns. If a determined attacker isn't going to be deterred by the threat of a determined defender prepared to shoot, an actual shot fired from said defender or even being struck by a bullet then the idea of a larger caliber most likely isn't going to make a difference without accurate shot placement.

I cited three cases from a page full off a quick Google search, each involved the use of a .22 and shots fired by the defender, only one of which was local. In all three cases the outcome was positive for the defender and negative for the attacker or attackers.

Am I recommending that we all carry a .22? Nope.

What I am trying to point out is that the constant insistence that using a .22 for self defense will get you killed is complete and utter BS. That's closely followed by recommending women get a small revolver because it will fit her hands better and the attacker will be on top of her before she can shoot him, so practicing doesn't matter.

Monty, I think you're falling into the trap of thinking that the only way to stop an attack is to kill the attacker. We both know that's simply not true. We both also know that handguns are pitiful popguns. If a determined attacker isn't going to be deterred by the threat of a determined defender prepared to shoot, an actual shot fired from said defender or even being struck by a bullet then the idea of a larger caliber most likely isn't going to make a difference without accurate shot placement.

I cited three cases from a page full off a quick Google search, each involved the use of a .22 and shots fired by the defender, only one of which was local. In all three cases the outcome was positive for the defender and negative for the attacker or attackers.

Am I recommending that we all carry a .22? Nope.

What I am trying to point out is that the constant insistence that using a .22 for self defense will get you killed is complete and utter BS. That's closely followed by recommending women get a small revolver because it will fit her hands better and the attacker will be on top of her before she can shoot him, so practicing doesn't matter.

No, I am just agreeing with the advice of generations of Instructors who've proceeded me.
The one who has covered this topic specifically at length is of course Mas Ayoob.

I don't think we're disagreeing as much as you may think.

In many cases the simple appearance of a gun may make the antagonist run off which is a win. However as you noted there are many examples where .22's have acquitted themselves well. There are also less publicized examples that Ayoob has quoted where people shot with them eventually made their way to the hospital for treatment & in some cases were unaware that they were even shot at all.

I never said anything about killing a threat. I always refer to stopping them as quickly as possible.

I agree with you that one advantage of .22's is their accuracy potential.

One issue is that troubles me is that many less committed shooters that default to the .22 are lacking the mindset needed to use any gun at all.

For those examples I mentioned earlier who just could not handle/ operate anything larger we practiced emptying the mag. into one or two targets, quickly reloading, & learning how to clear malfunctions.
We settled on CCI Velocitor (mini- GoldDots) & I strongly encouraged them to practice regularly & keep the gun immaculately clean.

At the end of the day I am reminded of the wisdom of Cooper when he suggested for shooters to carry the largest caliber that they will carry & can hit (their target) with....

Very smart guy.

Last edited:
All I could remember is was struck in the head with a 38. Like the previous post stated killing the target is not necessarily the goal is to eliminate the threat. If doing that doesn't require killing so be it. Knocking the sob down is the target here. The one I spoke of getting hit mid section and head even strenghtens my point. To much going on after the shots were made. If he would have had a gun people would have been dead. He is where eliminating the threat is the ultimate goal. just saying I would never send m wife out with a 22 hell no. At the minimum a 380 and have her practice like hell with it before I even let her carry it. With today's ammo tech a 380 can pack a punch.

Back
Top Bottom