• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a .22 Mag Revolver

resurrecting an old thread with a bit of new info.

One of my good friends took his sister who was then in her early 20s shopping for a handgun about 20 years ago. She shot some of my guns and some of his guns previously, and then she wanted one of her own. She said she wanted a 22 Magnum revolver. She bought an H&R 22 Magnum revolver that was on sale really cheap --like $139 .

Anyhow, although the gun seemed to be a good fit for her needs, and she was not interested in practicing with it enough to move up to a larger caliber, ultimately I don't think it worked out too well. She eventually stopped practicing with the revolver entirely after just a few range sessions. The gun sat unused for the last 18 years. She eventually gave it to my good friend (her brother) and now she's defenseless in a gun-free home.

This H&R revolver had a terrible double action trigger pull. Long, gritty, rough, and heavy.

I am wondering whether she would have enjoyed shooting firearms more and kept her skill levels proficient over the years, if she had chosen something like a 32 ACP semi auto instead of a DA revolver.

Perhaps the ideal handgun for her would have been something like a Glock model 42, but chambered in the 32 ACP around rather than the 380, because a . 380 round from a small and lightweight gun still has significant recoil.

images

I'll allow it

Take her to a range that has guns you can try out. I mention this the other day in another thread. I watched part of a show on the Outdoor Channel that was doing a test with weman and what guns they preferred. The started out with the compact and then went to the sub compact and then went to the full size guns. Test was done with revolvers and semi-autos. I am not going to go through the whole shebang ( no pun intended ) but the ladies like the full size semi-auto much, much, much better than any ot the other gusn. Why, basically recoil control allowed them to enjoy the shooting process better because the gun wasn't jumping around in their hands and the DA/SA was a big hit as well. After te initial trigger rotation the trigger became much easier again allowing them to get back on target.

The moral of the story from the program is, we men think that ladies are going to prefer dainty guns and cute guns. When in fact the wanted an aggressive looking gun and a full size gun just because it was more comfortable for them to shoot due to the weight. I think the S&W M&P in 9 mm was a real popular gun with them and there was one more I can't think of off hand. This wasn't a let them shoot a few guns and see what they think. Each lady had to shoot at least 9 guns and they choose their favorite shooter out of those.

Back
Top Bottom