• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wiggle-room, used car shopping?

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
We’re getting ready to buy a used Toyota Sienna, & I’m wondering how much wiggle-room I should expect from a dealer. Looking at 2015-2018 model years, 25-60k miles, & finding prices in the $18k-24k range. Do Toyota dealerships negotiate on CPOs? Is CPO worth it with the 7 year, 100k warranty? Any other tips, etc?

when I last bought a used car a year ago I found the negotiation room was much smaller than before. I think that people publishing prices on the net to attract people in has narrowed the margins between posted price and sales price quite a bit.

They wouldn't budge a $ from the net price on the car a ended up buying. I nearly walked away, but had to buy a car in a small time window, and it fitted what i wanted.

I did a hard search for over a year.

Multiple drives to multiple dealers.

Here is what I learned.

First, most dealers don't have much wiggle room.

Secondly, they still insist on playing "well, maybe my sales manager can knock a little off, let me go talk to him" Follow the advice above and be prepared to walk, ask for their best price, make it clear you don't have time or inclination to jack around, and if the price quoted doesn't suit you, get back in your car,

Thirdly they are going to try and shift you to whatever is sitting on their lot that they need to get rid of -know what you want and insist on getting it. I was looking for AWD/4WD, and I don't know how many jackasses I had to listen to explain to me why I didn't need it. I got to where I would just shut them up at the get go "I don't need to buy a car at all, I want a AWD/4wd and if you don't have one, I need to be moving on"

Find out how desirable your car is. If it is "hot" they are going to budge much if any. If it's a slow mover, they will move a lot. For ex. traditional 4 door sedans aren't moving at all right now, and there are some real bargains on tricked out models.

Finally, most importantly, remember it's your money, you don't owe them anything, and hang in there until you get what you want at a price you want.

Back
Top Bottom