• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wild Pig hunt for charity cookout

Teh Wicked

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I do not post her regularly, but I got a quick question.

I recently got involved with some charity work and there is plans for a 4th of July cookout. The host of the event mentioned wanting a wild pig for the cookout.

Does anyone have any pointers for possibly finding a place to shoot one, or even get one donated to the cause? I have no issues shooting it myself and cleaning it to get it ready. But im not about to pay someone to go shoot a feral hog under a feeder on their property, it would be pointless as we could just buy a butchered pig for cheaper. This isn't about the hunt, we just want the pig meat for the cookout.

I may have some depends on mother nature.planning on doing some nite hunting with this cool weather.I will keep you posted.
Resized_20170506_191332.jpg
20170507_091211.jpg

If you have it now I could only take them if we can get them quartered up quickly so I could put them in the deep freeze.

Tentatively speaking, it looks like the cookout will be around July 2nd.

Wild pig has a much lower fat content, but it can taste pretty gamey.

Smart money would have you buying a feral pig that has been trapped and fed corn for a week to clean it out.

Im not opposed to that idea...Im familiar with hogs and some of the practices, I just don't have any connections in GA to make it happen. All my buddies live in FL, it was nice having several friends that were state trappers and I could get one with a phone call.

Wild pig has a much lower fat content, but it can taste pretty gamey.

Smart money would have you buying a feral pig that has been trapped and fed corn for a week to clean it out.
I know a guy that is addicted to hunting pigs. Hunts them in the dark with thermal optics. He uses dogs to catch them. Pens them up for a few weeks and then kills and butcher's it..Fresh killed wild hog is not good. He told me if the pig has been chased a nd the adrenalin up, they taste even worse

I know a guy that is addicted to hunting pigs. Hunts them in the dark with thermal optics. He uses dogs to catch them. Pens them up for a few weeks and then kills and butcher's it..Fresh killed wild hog is not good. He told me if the pig has been chased a nd the adrenalin up, they taste even worse
A pig is an omnivore, they will eat anything, and they end up tasting like it. A week on straight corn will clean out whatever it was they had been eating, and taste more like ordinary pork

I have ate wild pig plenty of times before, but I never chase them. I always got them over a feeder with a shot to the head. Lets face it, anyone who hunts them on the regular know why I do this. Im not after the hunt, im after the meat. But it seems like everyone in this area believes these things are some type of cash cow.

This is especially true of males. That's why male hogs have their nuts cut off if they are to be trapped and farm raised.

Back
Top Bottom