• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 101 trigger problem

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a Win 101 that is firing both bbls at same time occasionally. He said he has heard that is a common problem for the 101. I have never heard that but wondering if anyone here has any suggestion to cure it. Thanks, Wallace in georgia

Have owned 3 and still have a pigeon grade, never had any kind of problem! Don’t understand how this could happen as energy from firing first barrel cocks the second barrel unless it’s not catching ! Does it do it if you fire either barrel first! My gun made about 77 and I’ve fired probably 30,000 rounds of skeet as well as used it to dove and quail hunting!

Have owned 3 and still have a pigeon grade, never had any kind of problem! Don’t understand how this could happen as energy from firing first barrel cocks the second barrel unless it’s not catching ! Does it do it if you fire either barrel first! My gun made about 77 and I’ve fired probably 30,000 rounds of skeet as well as used it to dove and quail hunting!

Most 101 have mechanical triggers, both barrels cock when the gun is broken open. OP can determine this by firing on a couple of fired hulls. If it clicks twice they are mechanical.

Supposedly some of the high end target guns have inertia triggers.

Doubling is not a common problem with 101s. I am talking about the originals, don't know about the new reintroduced models. The originals were well built, and as far as I know don't have "common problems."

If the triggers are in fact inertia, the most common problem is "trapping" the trigger-not relaxing your trigger finger enough to let the second barrel set. The fact that is occurs irregularly suggests that the problem is not mechanical. He might want to see if there is a correlation between the shells he is using and when it happens -heavy loads are more likely to cause trapping.

If the triggers are mechanical, a good cleaning and inspection for a broken part are in order. Mechanical triggers have a disconnector to prevent them from doubling, and that part needs to be examined.

From the owners manual
The Model 101 is an over and under shotgun made to fire
two successive shots by pulling the trigger twice, once for
each shot. Each time the action is opened after firing the
hammers are cocked automatically and empty shells (one
or two) are ejected clear of the chamber(s) automatically.

Friend of mine has a Win 101 that is firing both bbls at same time occasionally. He said he has heard that is a common problem for the 101. I have never heard that but wondering if anyone here has any suggestion to cure it. Thanks, Wallace in georgia

Is it inertia or mechanical? Does the safety have multiple “positions” that allow for Safe, but two “Fire” options? He can contact CHirt and arrange to drop it off at his shop for the gunsmith to look at it. They offer free inspections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom