• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 94 Big Bore - Couple Questions

Dave1210

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
209   0
Reaction score
I recently traded for this Winchester Big Bore 94 .375 rifle and was wondering if some of you with experience with 94s might be able to lead me to where I can date the rifle? It has a fairly low four digit serial number 250X. I have shot it twice and it shoots well (rounds are NOT cheap).

Secondly, I have zero experience with cerakoting. Does the rifle appear to be a cerakote job or something else? Whatever it is appears professionally done but I can't tell.

What say you? Thanks!

20210527_194501.jpg
20210527_194546.jpg
20210527_194444.jpg
20210527_194433.jpg

That’s a good looking rifle! It appears to me to be a matte nickel finish. I’ve seen a similar finish on a Mossberg Mariner pump shotgun, and that’s what they described it as. If so, it’s electroplated and would be either factory or done by a gunsmith.

Eric

The Winchester Big Bore 94 .375 Winchester debuted in January 1978, along with the same rifle in .307 and .356 Winchester.

The 94 was changed to Angle Eject in 1982. Yours doesn’t appear to be an AE model, so it was made between 1978-1982.

In 1992, Winchester added the unnecessary cross bolt safety, which yours doesn’t have.

Production ceased altogether in 1997 on the .375, and in 1998 on the .307 and .356 versions.

I was in the market for a .375 recently and considered the one that you bought. The gentleman that owned it thought it was Cerakote, but didn’t seem 100% sure. I’m in Dallas as well, and would be happy to look at it for you.

Winchester made your gun from 1978 to 1986. Good luck finding ammunition, but if you reload you can make low pressure loads from necked up .30-30 cases. I haven’t found anything about a matte nickel finish yet, so it may be after market.

Eric

Winchester made your gun from 1978 to 1986. Good luck finding ammunition, but if you reload you can make low pressure loads from necked up .30-30 cases. I haven’t found anything about a matte nickel finish yet, so it may be after market.

Eric

Here’s some solid dates. They weren’t offered in matte nickel. The previous owner thought it was Cerakote, but wasn’t sure.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_94_big-bore.html

Here’s some solid dates. They weren’t offered in matte nickel. The previous owner thought it was Cerakote, but wasn’t sure.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_94_big-bore.html

That’s cool that you’re in the area. I’d be interested to know about that finish. I’ve never seen a cerakote that looked metallic before, but I’m sure it’s possible. Here’s where I got my information about the cartridge.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/6/11/remembering-the-375-winchester-cartridge/

Eric

Its not a factory finish that winchester ever offered on their factory big bore.However Kudo's to a fine rifle in a rifle akin to a 35 rem on steroids!!!!this rifle carries like a dream in and outa the woods.You'll at times forget your even toting a rifle at all,because its so effortless and balanced.I had the exact model in blue for about a decade,but just could never connect on a kill.Started to think it was bad luck...LOL!!!Not really....Im sure it would have hit like the hammet of Thor,but I couldnt make it happen,but Ive made it happen numerous times with a pre-64 30-30 that carries the same.A true joy to carry in the woods with some wool,plaid,and a little nastalgia from better times since passed.A truly good rifle in fine caliber with a finish resistance to the elements.You sir have a fine piece of gear to have and hold.May it bring you good success!Best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom