• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 94AE Remodel

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Going to make it look old, sorta.....

And, since most old guns had pretty nice looking walnut stocks, I'll replace the sprayed brown white hardwood that came with the rifle.

Save lots of work, prefit, Danish oil finished walnut. I'm sure it'll need a touch of fitting but, looks grander and in an oil finish you get to feel the wood.

Dustins Wood 001.JPG
Dustins Wood 002.JPG

Was going to try out a brass buttplate, antiqued of course. But its just not a good look. Too thin, a spacer would look wrong and the factory brass Winchester plate is , smaller than the oversize aftermarket wood. I don't want to pare the wood down either so will tie the brass accents I'm planning to use on the rifle together subtly. Screw heads, trigger, bands, sight, all subdued/antiqued with that old brass tarnish.

006.JPG

As for the wood buttstock. Its oversize in all the right places. Inside spots. Makes for good fitting. The exterior is a bit larger than I'd like for small hands, but for medium or large hands it'll be better than stock and no where like the clubs of 4x4 landscape timbers hanging on the marlin rifle frame. It'll look a dayum site better than the original wood too. Just an idea of how truly ugly brown stained polyurethane sprayed white hardwood really is, compared to even this straight grained walnut. Gaps will close up with just a touch of the files and removing a bit of wood inside the tang will make room for the coil main spring. Lastly, will have to drill the tang bolt hole, bed the tangs in epoxy and replace the black phillips head buttplate screws with brass slotted head screws.

004.JPG
005.JPG

Some of the old school glitter arrived, promptly buffed off the Sporting House Gal look (It was as bright and shiny as Boob Gloss) and antiqued it. For-end band is nice, screw fits, but the forward barrel band arrived with the right screw and the wrong size hole. Oh well, I'll use it, gives me a chance to make an old style fix, a hand made sleeve nut to fill the over size hole with good thread. The factory gold trigger to age similarly later. Just a bit more brass to put on it.....then i'll get to the hard work.

001.JPG
004.JPG
008.JPG

Odds and ends still rolling in at the blistering pace of the US Postal Service.......Old School rear sight slot filler and the only front sling mount i've ever found to be secure on a magazine tube.

001.JPG
002.JPG

I would like the front sight base to mimic the fancy rear sight dovetail slot filler. i.e. the front sight base should have a pointed tail on it. Sometimes you can't buy what you want and so, try to make it. An old rear sight with a similar point was heated bright orange to make it soft enough to drill with HSS tooling. Centered and drilled for a tail that will help secure the horse head later on. Then the excess clipped and initial fitting to the front sight slot is completed. It'll be a good snug fit and if all go's well, the horse head won't go flying off into the woods in recoil.

002.JPG

I would like the front sight base to mimic the fancy rear sight dovetail slot filler. i.e. the front sight base should have a pointed tail on it. Sometimes you can't buy what you want and so, try to make it. An old rear sight with a similar point was heated bright orange to make it soft enough to drill with HSS tooling. Centered and drilled for a tail that will help secure the horse head later on. Then the excess clipped and initial fitting to the front sight slot is completed. It'll be a good snug fit and if all go's well, the horse head won't go flying off into the woods in recoil.

index.php
It appears your picture didn't make it through. :(

Back
Top Bottom