• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 94AE Remodel

Setting up the gold barrel band with the no threads and the to big hole in it (it must have been a factory reject that made it to Numrich) Drill the threaded (or what should have been threaded side) just over clearance size for a 6x48 screw and use a piloted head cutter to make a flat bottomed counter bore for the new filister head screw. (Will round that head over later so it blends with the band later.) On the other side of the band is the original counter-bore for the head of the original screw. Use a chamfer cutter to make room for the sleeve nut to sit in closer to flush. I made the sleeve nut from 1/4" half hard brass rod. Drilled, tapped 6x48 and roughly shaped and fitted. More shaping later after new screws arrive so the sleeve nut will blend better with the band. Usually the Winchester and Marlins can take a long 6x48 screw in place of the smaller diameter original screw without having to clean out space in the barrel slot or the mag tube slot.

View attachment 2049380 View attachment 2049381 View attachment 2049383
Where does one acquire the hard brass rod?

Working up a Faux Case Color on the action. No golds or green, but the muted greys of very old color case. Rust blue should do the trick, so the first step is to polish off the factory blue and then, make it rusty. Here, 5 minutes into the first several hours of rusting.

003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG

This year in NC we saw over 50" of rain since the beginning of the year. Per reports, no one alive in NC ever saw this much rain in one season before. So, Like most days March through October in South, the Garage is my damp box. Slower but even and very fine grained and tuff rust blue. Damp box running at 80% humidity during the winter months, also fine grained and tuff but damp box is faster any time of year. For this project, I have time to feed the dogs, play with other projects and get a haircut before I come back this afternoon and set up for the first boil, so, slow in the garage is good.

Have not tried any rust blue but Pilkingtons for the fine grained grey black, sticking with it regardless of the price. Too old and set in my ways to change now! Have used Laurel Mountain Forge but mostly like it for the plumb brown. Laurel seems much more coarse grained and somewhat less durable, but it can also be boiled black.

Back
Top Bottom