• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester Model of 1917

MxTanker

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I have a Winchester 1917 chambered in .30-06 that I inherited a few years ago that I wanted to get some more info on. This rifle was purchased by my grandfather in the late 1940's in the state that it's currently in. Now the information that Ive found thus far has stated that these rifles never came sporterized, but my grandfather insisted that it did. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more info as to the markings on the barrel and possibly figure out when and where it was built. I couldn't find any markings on the stock at all, except on the recoil pad it says Noshoc patented June 6,1922. Hope to find out a little history on it. Thanks in advance

Winchester1917 (6).jpgWinchester1917 (5).jpgWinchester1917 (4).jpgWinchester1917 (3).jpgWinchester1917 (2).jpgWinchester1917 (7).jpgWinchester1917 (1).jpg100_0704.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody did a beauitiful job of sporterizing it. They removed the orioginal rear sight and "ears" and installed a good quallity peep sight. Can't tell from the pictures if the front sight is original. It has been refinished and a very good sporter stock installed. Does the bolt cock on opening like a Springfield or on closing like an Enfield? If it cocks on closing I think speed kits may still be available out there some where. Back in the late 40s and thru the 50s into the 60s we sporterized thousands of Springfields, Enfields and Mausers. Looks to me like all it needs is a nice sling and go enjoy it. :~}

That's a nice commercial ramped front sight. Are you aware the peep hole in the rear sight uncscrews and can be replaced with another size or a Merit Adjustable one? I like the Merit. The appiture is easly adjustable to suit your target and the present light conditions.

No ones mentioned this but the cheek peice is on the right side indicating the shooter was left handed, was your grandfather a lefty ? Nice rifle ! EDIT: I believe you might just have what grandpaw said based on the nice checkering and fit behind the bolt and saftey, cheek peice on the right side for a lefty and the marking that said Model "of" 1917 and a few other indicators show it was at one time a military rifle and was sportirized by someone(business) after it was declared surplus which was common back in the 40's/50's. If he was left handed ,then I believe he ordered it as such maybe thru mail order. Again nice rifle, and if you can't hang onto it let me know, LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom