• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester primers

Cmax Arms

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
I wanted opinions on Winchester primers. I am a FNG on reloading, loaded about 700 rounds so far, 9mm, 38 spl, 357 mag. (mostly 38's) I bought CCI small pistol primers and Winchester small pistol magnum primers. I am using a RCBS universal hand priming tool and I clean the primer pockets. The CCI primers have seated and worked perfectly, but the Winchester primers seem to be much more temperamental. I had one yesterday that would not seat, and looked deformed. Even some of the Winchester primers were upside down in the shipping tray, just a few of them. They don't seem to feed as well in the priming tool. They just seem not as good as the CCI's. What has been ya'lls experiences?

Thanks Cmax:cool:

I would call Winchester and discuss the issue with them. It may be a manufacturing defect, or it may be that you are attempting to use them on cases that had crimped primer pockets that would need to be swagged prior to inserting a new primer (lots of military stuff with crimped primers are hitting the ranges these days and it's causing some headaches for reloaders!)

As for defects: I once had some Remington Factory .45 Colt projectiles and noticed a split case mouth on one of them prior to using any of them. I called Remington who immediately sent me an RMA / Pre-Paid Shipping Label. UPS picked them up and I got a check for the full retail value in about 2 weeks.

BTW: Substitution "Magnum" for "Standard" primers is not generally advised ...

Last edited:
Never had an issue with Winchester or CCI primers. Thousands of each have gone thru my presses and the only problem with seating came from operator error or equipment needing adjustment.

Have been using Win, Fed, CCI, and Tula. Havent had problems with any seating but several of the Tula have failed to ignite. Maybe you got a bad batch.

We have had some in past that were flared a little outward on the entering side of the primer into the primer pocket.

We called and they said they would look into this however since we had taken them home from the store more likely we had done something to them.

Told them THANK YOU, have not bought any of their primers since.

We have purchased their PRIMERS (2) TWICE, THE FIRST AND LAST TIME.

PREFFERENCES

FEDERAL GM MATCH
CCI BENCH MATH OR MAG

No issues with those brands, did notice the Winchester primers flopped around in the original box. I haven't seen or remember seeing that with other flavors.

Echo Clarke123's statement about military crimps in mil 9mm and .45 ACP pistol brass as well as mil 5.56 and .308 rifle brass.

Back
Top Bottom