• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester rifles?

Sandman771

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
I understand that the pre-64 Model 70's are pretty much a collector's gold standard and I'm sure are sweet-shooting guns. My question is this: I've been looking at the new ones. Super grades going for $1200 on other sites. Is this a effect of a super sweet rifle? or is it like a Rolex a really pricey way to tell time? Just curious, but that Super grade with maple stock is sweet looking. Thanks for your opinions.

They are fine rifles, whether new or old. Are they worth the $1200 price tag? I don't know...Are they to you?

You are paying for the Winchester name and of course, a very nice rifle that will outlast you. I believe you can acquire a rifle that is every bit as good for half the price, but it won't be as pretty.

Hunting rifles are my only true gun vanity. I want to hunt with a beautiful rifle. Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun. With that, I will say that a super grade that is well taken care of will never lose value, and will most likely gain value over the years.

It is a good bit of change for a hunting rifle, but you will never need another. And I am a Browning man, but I love the model 70 and have seriously considered getting one myself. I once had a featherweight XTR in .270 that was a beautiful and exceptional rifle. Trading it has been one of my greatest regrets.

I say go for it, unless you will shy away from using it because it is "too pretty". Of course, you may want it for an investment...I don't really know.

I've always been a Winchester fan over all others. When Winchester went away I did the obvious and switched to FN (is a Winchester, but long story between those two). I now shoot the FN's, super grade Wins or the older pre 64 Wins......and yes the pre 64 and Super Grade never drops in value.

If you can find one with the BOSS, get it. Browning only let them make rifles with the BOSS for two years and they can be one hole wonders when tuned.

A few years ago they went back to the pre '64 claw extractor that made them famous in addition to putting in a new trigger (the M.O.A trigger) which I think is a very nice trigger. The wood is nice, the bluing pretty. I still think the Model 70 of today is perhaps the most overlooked common bolt action rifle around. If I wanted a pretty, reliable gun that shot well, looked classy, and would still be worthy of passing down to the kids in 20+ years, I think the Model 70 fits that bill perfectly.

Reactions: MRH
Just my opinion but if you collect go old if you shoot go new.
I shoot and have no need for wall hangers or safe Queens.

Not all new Guns are made better but most have better technology in metallurgy.
They are usually cheaper and come with a warranty.
Most people can afford them if you choose to sell. Only collectors will buy collections usually.

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

My first hunting rifle was a Model 70 and they will always have a spot in my heart, but the only reason I would buy one today is for their aesthetics (I think the woodies are a beautiful rifle). I have been very disappointed with the inherent accuracy of pretty much every one I have owned since that first one and I owned that one before I knew any better.

Back
Top Bottom