• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Without Googling m, how many vets remember the name of these and got your meals from one???

Mermite cans.
In Nam we had one small signal detachment on a radio intercept camp, and once a day we'd load up a hot meal for them and run it out by jeep.
I was a company cook on a combat base. I'm very familiar with those. And M1937 field stoves, which ran on gasoline and compressed air.
My Dad was ASA in Vietnam was this the patch they wore at the radio intercept camp?

61X%2Bmy7edZL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Good memories of Mermites.

Bad memory of T-rats: the first time our mess section got them for the full company, they misread the label and thought there were divided sections in each big tin. So instead of the entree or chicken ala king, and the side of Mac and cheese, and the dessert of chocolate pudding, each firing platoon got one can, the entree, the side, or, for my platoon, the dessert.

I'll be honest, the younger guys were excited about 5 pounds of chocolate pudding.

I sent a driver and an NCO into the local village bakery and meatzgerie.

We never had T-rats again.

The companion to this following the chow was cleaning your mess kit in the galvanized trash cans in boiling water with immersion heaters. I can remember a couple times when a mess guy or K.P. would light the things with too much fuel vapor built up and blow the chimneys off. Loud bang and sheet metal projectile. INCOMING!

Back
Top Bottom