• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WMA Shooting Range Etiquettes/ unspoken rules.

JKBRM0242

Default rank <200 posts
Uh..
34   0
Reaction score
I was at a WMA range yesterday with my dad and during a part of our range session, we decided to work on our holster draw from concealment with a shot timer at the pistol range (10 yard). I'm a seasoned shooter and I am always aware of gun safety protocols and muzzle/ trigger discipline and I ensure that anyone I bring to the range does the same thing.

However, although we weren't approached directly. I overheard other shooters over at the long range side of the range talking among themselves that this type of training/ "competition" aspect of it doesn't belong at a WMA range. I eventually stopped and reverted back to stationary shooting/ just putting holes on paper with my dad.

What do you guys think about that? What seem to annoyed them the most was my shot timer. Do you think stuff like that should be done elsewhere or is it okay at a WMA range?

What other unspoken rules/ etiquettes do you guys follow?

How I wish I have my own outdoor range lol. The thing is, the rules doesn't specially forbid holster draw nor does it said it's allowed. So it's really in the gray..

I just don't want to be lumped into the same group of guys that shoot their AK pistol in an overhead stance throwing 30 rounds downrange and missing the target that is 10 yards away. :lol:

Were you breaking this rule:

14. Double tapping or rapid fire is prohibited. Shooters shall allow at least one second between shots.

Oh yeah the dreaded range nazis. Had some say something to my paw in law and me about drawing from a holster. We weren't double tapping or rapid firing, just practicing our draw. Guys came all the way from the rifle said to say something.

Let one person get hurt or killed because of range stupidity and see how fast it gets closed. Some folks would **** up a wet dream.

Were you breaking this rule:

14. Double tapping or rapid fire is prohibited. Shooters shall allow at least one second between shots.

That.
I have (well until the closing in less than two weeks) my own place to 'train' any way I want. WMA ranges have to adhere to strict rules and that includes the lowest common denominator. Practically speaking, public ranges are for sighting in long guns, and stationary fixed position handgun practice. Many private ranges have more flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom