• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Wokeness" is an infection

Separate publication of the morning Constitution and afternoon Journal ended in 2001 in favor of a single morning paper under the Journal-Constitution name.

The Constitution was a decent paper, the Journal was fish wrapper.

BOTH are now fish wrapper (worse even - closest parallel is used/wiped toilet paper) ..whatever decency there was with the Constitution died when they consolidated the two papers.

I remember when there were two papers. IIRC, the Journal was leftist and published in the AM (?) and the Constitution was more conservative and published in the afternoon....(could have that reversed). My recollection is that they essentially just fired all the Constitution headliners and consolidated both into one lying paper-of-record. It is leftist trash journalism. I'd believe gossip from my next door neighbor before them....

One of the last Journal bicycle carriers, me.

The theory was the morning Constitution was the "working man's paper", read over breakfast.

The afternoon Journal was the "businessman's paper". The Journal had a "5 Star" edition which was really late and only available downtown. It carried that day's stock market report. The irony is that the 5 Star was a big seller in the projects, where there weren't a whole of day traders. The reason was that one of the numbers reported is the total number of shares traded that day, and the last three digits of that number was that days winner in the "Bug' - the predecessor to today's Pick 3

I believe the use of the singular "they" as a third person pronoun to be grammatically correct in this instance. Especially since the sex of the person transported doesn't appear to be mentioned.

Garner's Modern American Usage
Garner's Modern American Usage (2nd ed., 2003) recommends cautious use of singular they, and avoidance where possible because its use is stigmatized.

• "Where noun–pronoun disagreement can be avoided, avoid it. Where it can't be avoided, resort to it cautiously because some people will doubt your literacy ..."[127]
Garner suggests that use of singular they is more acceptable in British English:

• "Speakers of AmE resist this development more than speakers of BrE, in which the indeterminate they is already more or less standard."[125]
and apparently regrets the resistance by the American language community:

• "That it sets many literate Americans' teeth on edge is an unfortunate obstacle to what promises to be the ultimate solution to the problem."[125]
He regards the trend toward using singular they with antecedents like everybody, anyone and somebody as inevitable:

• "Disturbing though these developments may be to purists, they're irreversible. And nothing that a grammarian says will change them."[128]

Back
Top Bottom