• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Women fighters.

Hell yeah! (And I'm a girl.)

And Geaux, this is yet another reason I just love you.

I share some of your feelings, and have said almost the exact same things as AA above. We are not "equal"; we complement each other. We are meant to be partners, a team, and a community. Female skills, intuition, nurturing are needed in a family and in a community. Likewise, male protectors, hunters, providers are also needed. Yes, there are crossovers; those that are better at what is typically the other gender role. And when that happens, more power to you for finding your strengths and contributing in the way you're best suited.

I hate that today's society by and large has to mess this balance up by proving we're all equal. That's the first mistake we make as a society. We should be reveling in our differences and building up people who bring different skills in, rather than pushing an agenda that we are all the same.
Amen. Preach it sister! :nod:

Is it my inability to state the clear difference between a spectator blood sport with women participants and women being trained in self defense, or are you not wanting to discuss the distinction?
Most of the women I'm taking about were not just training for self defense. They competed. Mostly is Kumite, a form of full contact Karate. This was also 40 years ago, so again, this is nothing new.
kumite2.jpg

Most of the women I'm taking about were not just training for self defense. They competed. Mostly is Kumite, a form of full contact Karate. This was also 40 years ago, so again, this is nothing new.
And you equate that with today's MMA/UFC (whatever it is) women's pay per view events?

I miss the days when men were men. To be rough and tough. Saving the damsel in distress. Movies and legends are made of such. There is a nobility in this that we seem to be losing. Good guys used to always win in the movies, now we are being trained to cheer for the bad guys. The cowboys don't were white hats anymore in the movies. I for one will stand and say a man should be a man and man up to all of his duties. Fight the good fight. .02

And you equate that with today's MMA/UFC (whatever it is) women's pay per view events?
Absolutely. They were more restricted in the techniques they could use, Kumite is basically all striking and Judo is all grappling, but the cuts and KOs are just as real and the crowds were often large, even though it was armature. The only real difference is in scale and money. Hell, a type of Kumite is now a women's Olympic sport. Judo has long been a women's Olympic sport.

I miss the days when men were men. To be rough and tough. Saving the damsel in distress. Movies and legends are made of such. There is a nobility in this that we seem to be losing. Good guys used to always win in the movies, now we are being trained to cheer for the bad guys. The cowboys don't were white hats anymore in the movies. I for one will stand and say a man should be a man and man up to all of his duties. Fight the good fight. .02
I completely agree. What does this have to do with women fighters?

Absolutely. They were more restricted in the techniques they could use, Kumite is basically all striking and Judo is all grappling, but the cuts and KOs are just as real and the crowds were often large, even though it was armature. The only real difference is in scale and money. Hell, a type of Kumite is now a women's Olympic sport. Judo has long been a women's Olympic sport.
You are not drawing a difference between martial arts for defense, even in competition, and "prize fighting". I am.

You are not drawing a difference between martial arts for defense, even in competition, and "prize fighting". I am.
That's because competitive martial arts are not designed for defense. You are correct in the assumption that defensive skills and competition skills are different. You are wrong in the assumption that only MMA uses competitive skills. Even in Judo, possibly the most benign of the competitive martial arts, broken bones, destroyed joints and cracked vertebra are not uncommon. Also, the goal of a competition is to win the prize, thus it is all "prize fighting".

They are called combat sports for a reason.

BTW, depending on the type of martial art, purely defensive skills are often much more destructive to an opponent than anything allowed in any combat sport.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom