• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Women fighters.

That's because competitive martial arts are not designed for defense. You are correct in the assumption that defensive skills and competition skills are different. You are wrong in the assumption that only MMA uses competitive skills. Even in Judo, possibly the most benign of the competitive martial arts, broken bones, destroyed joints and cracked vertebra are not uncommon.

They are called combat sports for a reason.
It isn't about technicalities. It's about intent. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to defend herself. I'm ALL for it. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to defend herself AND compete in amateur competitions. Whatever flips her switch. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to hopefully knock out her opponent and earn a paycheck to the cheers of a drunk blood thirsty (generally male) crowd.... nope. Bloodsport is not a ladies game. It's wrong. I realize it's completely subjective.

That's because competitive martial arts are not designed for defense. You are correct in the assumption that defensive skills and competition skills are different. You are wrong in the assumption that only MMA uses competitive skills. Even in Judo, possibly the most benign of the competitive martial arts, broken bones, destroyed joints and cracked vertebra are not uncommon. Also, the goal of a competition is to win the prize, thus it is all "prize fighting".

They are called combat sports for a reason.

BTW, depending on the type of martial art, purely defensive skills are often much more destructive to an opponent than anything allowed in any combat sport.

Have you ever trained in Judo, Bear? I have, and to call it "benign" in comparison to other competitive martial arts is not even close to accurate.

I'm with you GeauxLSU on the women fighting. There is something ugly about it. I don't care to watch some chick get knocked out. It is their art and they should be free to fight if they so choose, but I don't really enjoy watching it.

"Kumite", lots of old terms or inexperienced terms being used here (doesn't really mean full contact fighting). "Kumite" lol

Last edited:
It isn't about technicalities. It's about intent. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to defend herself. I'm ALL for it. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to defend herself AND compete in amateur competitions. Whatever flips her switch. A woman wants to be as well trained as possible to hopefully knock out her opponent and earn a paycheck to the cheers of a drunk blood thirsty (generally male) crowd.... nope. Bloodsport is not a ladies game. It's wrong. I realize it's completely subjective.
So your only real objection is to the type of crowd and that she gets paid. I guess not getting paid to beat someone's ass makes it more ladylike.

Have you ever trained in Judo, Bear? I have, and to call it "benign" in comparison to other competitive martial arts is not even close to accurate.

I'm with you GeauxLSU on the women fighting. There is something ugly about it. I don't care to watch some chick get knocked out. It is their art and they should be free to fight if they so choose, but I don't really enjoy watching it.

LOL. I knew I'd draw some heat for that one. My real point is that none of them are truly benign and all of them are serious combat sports. The rules of competitive Juda make it the least likely to cause serious injury IMO, but all of them can ruin your day in a hurry.

And yes, I have studied Judo as part of another style that incorporated it.

"Kumite", lots of old terms or inexperienced terms being used here (doesn't really mean full contact fighting). "Kumite" lol
Old school, brother. Where I studied in Asia we had nothing but hardwood floors. You learned how to fall real quick. The term Kumite can be used to accurately describe many types of martial arts competition and practice even today. Think about it. And yes, Kumite can very much mean full contact. It depends on who's using it.

Just out of curiosity, do you also think "Kata" is an old or obsolete term. Kumite and Kata are opposite sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
I can't say I like seeing women beat the crap out of each other, but I do like the training and sparring for self defense. I will say most of them have tone hot bodies from all that training and that is also a plus for us!

Old school, brother. Where I studied in Asia we had nothing but hardwood floors. You learned how to fall real quick. The term Kumite can be used to accurately describe many types of martial arts competition and practice even today. Think about it.

I think we came up on the same bloody floors/mats Bear :) Been fun watching the progression from traditional martial arts to semi-contact, full-contact, WKA, PKA a few international orgs during the same period to BJJ, Thai Boxing then UF'ing and MMA and now watching Rousy. And seeing what really works in a "fight"

I know this, I spent a good deal of time in the ring during the 70's / 80's and occasionally the early 90's, every professional female I ever worked with I had one thought in mind at the time, (boxing and full-contact kickboxing) and that was not hurting her. I had guys that weighted 50 lbs less than me ring my bell and a couple of heavyweight pros make me wish I had chosen tennis. But a female, it was all about not being the guy that smashed her nose. Sports are sports, if a chick wants it knock yourself out (lol)

Back
Top Bottom